Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 Diesel 4x4 ,4EOD trans, Upgraded Alternator, Western plow relay, 4-in lift
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just got done figuring out why my truck was loping a little bit thank you CJ now I plugged my scan tool into erase codes and see if there was any other codes and this one came up I just replaced the ICP about a week prior when I was in California because it wasn't working right I still have the original ICP sensor truck runs great . Only at startup did it romp a couple times before I turn the key off and then turn the key waited a couple minutes and then it would turn the truck on normal and not romp .any help is appreciated

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
I'm a little confused as to what the problem was, I'm probably just to tired to understand, could you explain a bit for me

· Registered
1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 Diesel 4x4 ,4EOD trans, Upgraded Alternator, Western plow relay, 4-in lift
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday while i was at work after sitting for a little bit with the key on engine off I was adjusting headlights but when I went to turn the key to actually start the truck it started but it acted as tho it was going to die but I turn the truck back off and wait a couple seconds and then turn the key again and it runs fine that is my problem do u think it's just low battery due to the drain when I was adjusting headlights if it helps it did it again while I was resting the codes and the code reader popped out that code p1210 so I unplugged the ICP and started the truck and it ran normal plugged ICP back in started the truck it ran normal it almost seems like it was battery drain or something else I'm not seeing?

· Registered
3,558 Posts
Here are the pinpoint tests for P1210. Cheers!

Attachments

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
just having headlights on shouldn't drain your battery a ton, I've accidentally left mine on for about an hour or two and it made no difference( I don't have led or and low energy bulb)

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just switched mine from incandescent to led that is what I was asking some of mine are still incandescent but my headlights and taillights are led would a bad IPR cause the ICP to set a code like this the Icp is brand new will see if I can test it tonight I have to get a ohmn reader my old one crapped out on me

· Premium Member
99 & 00, F350s, manual and auto, Ext & Crew Cab, 4x2 & 4x4, need more room!
4,186 Posts
Yesterday while i was at work after sitting for a little bit with the key on engine off I was adjusting headlights but when I went to turn the key to actually start the truck it started but it acted as tho it was going to die but I turn the truck back off and wait a couple seconds and then turn the key again and it runs fine that is my problem do u think it's just low battery due to the drain when I was adjusting headlights if it helps it did it again while I was resting the codes and the code reader popped out that code p1210 so I unplugged the ICP and started the truck and it ran normal plugged ICP back in started the truck it ran normal it almost seems like it was battery drain or something else I'm not seeing?
Your problem was that you tried to start it without turning the key off first.

Per @1970something , the glow plugs will stay on for 10 seconds after the "wait" light goes off. If you haven't started it by then, the glow plugs won't come on. You started the engine without glow plugs warming it.

Don't worry about the p1210 (yet). Clear all the codes, go through proper start procedure, and see if it comes back.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your problem was that you tried to start it without turning the key off first.

Per @1970something , the glow plugs will stay on for 10 seconds after the "wait" light goes off. If you haven't started it by then, the glow plugs won't come on. You started the engine without glow plugs warming it.

Don't worry about the p1210 (yet). Clear all the codes, go through proper start procedure, and see if it comes back.
Are you saying I waited too long to start my truck or I didn't wait long enough to start my truck?

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
I think he is saying that since you had your key on for so long that the glow plugs had cooled down and therefore didn't help you start it, giving you a longer starting time

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it might be the other way around because once the idiot light went out I turn the key and it acted like it was going to die and then I turned the key off turn the key on Wait for the idiot light to go out and then wait another 2 to 3 seconds and then turn the key and it started fine and ran fine I'll see if I can get a video of it tomorrow doing that

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
The glow plug circuit has a safety feature to keep you from burning up glow plugs.
Key on.
Wait light is on, glow plugs are warming up.
Wait light goes off, glow plugs continue to warm

IF no engine start within 10 seconds, then glow plugs turn OFF

IF engine is started, glow plugs continue to warm for as long as the PCM says so.

· Registered
3,558 Posts
On the OBS trucks the plugs will be active for up to 1.5 minutes (no 10 second timer or anything like that). The WTS light has nothing to do with how long the plugs are actually heating and is nothing more than a reminder to wait. Cheers!

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Still getting the code can't seem to recreate it right now I even unplugged it and tried starting it but it only gave me perfect start no romp or anything but when it does do it I'll catch a video of it and post it here

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
On the OBS trucks the plugs will be active for up to 1.5 minutes (no 10 second timer or anything like that). The WTS light has nothing to do with how long the plugs are actually heating and is nothing more than a reminder to wait. Cheers!
So it's easy to burn up your glow plugs?!?!? :eek:

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Still getting the code can't seem to recreate it right now I even unplugged it and tried starting it but it only gave me perfect start no romp or anything but when it does do it I'll catch a video of it and post it here
7.3L throw codes occasionally. Worry about it when the code sticks.

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
I've probably started burning up my new ones because I get to Impatient to wait for 2 mins lol

· Premium Member
4,186 Posts
I've probably started burning up my new ones because I get to Impatient to wait for 2 mins lol
Your Wait to Start light takes two minutes to turn off????

· Premium Member
1995 Ford F-350 7.3 PSD
302 Posts
It only stays on for like 4 seconds, then I just watch my voltage, I normally crank once I see the glow plugs stopped drawing power

· Registered
7,123 Posts
It only stays on for like 4 seconds, then I just watch my voltage, I normally crank once I see the glow plugs stopped drawing power
There is no reason to wait until the plugs have shut off. Even in cold climates just start the engine once the light goes off. If the engine doesn't start then odds are there are other problems such as burnt out glow plugs.

Even last year at this time when over half of my glow plugs weren't working I would only wait a short time after the light went out before I would start my truck, even in below zero temperatures.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts