Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 f250 7.3L. I am experiencing a loss of power, especially noticable in 4th and 5th gear (around 2500 rpms). The only fault that shows up with the scanner is a P0472. I am going to take off the tube and check the sensor but I am curious if anyone knows if this could cause the issue? If not, does anyone have any ideas on what else I should check? Truck has a new fuel bowl and fuel pump due to leaks. I recently purchased it with this issue and haven't been able to pinpoint what may be causing it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, I think that code is for an Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor error. Could be a bad sensor, unplugged sensor, plugged EBP sensor tube, or bad wires, a rusted off tube, or giant exhaust leak.

How many miles are on the truck?

What I would recommend first, is get the EBP reading and MAP reading, Key On Engine Off. They should be the same, or really close to each other. Post up your results, maybe it will provide some insight.

Further, you can try unplugging the EBP sensor, and see if your power comes back.

Again, this is only if my memory is correct on what the code means. Good luck!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck has 267,000 miles on it, from what I was able to find it is EBP. It is reading low it seems to always show 0.04. I checked supply voltage to sensor and it has 5vdc. I am going to pull it into shop tomorrow and pull the tube to see if it is plugged. I was curious if this could be causing the issue of low power. I havent tried unplugging it yet to see what it does I will try that as well. I also forgot to add it does have some sort of chip on it and if I turn the mode up it does get a lot worse. Thank you for your response and advice.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. Let us know what you find!

The chip thing concerns me. Forum advice and personal experience both say pull the chip before going further, and see what it does. Do all testing and diagnosing without the chip, saves a lot of trouble.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts