Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the ZF5s hold up behind P Pumped engines?? I had a NV5600 lined up, but so far I I dont have it in hand and am getting a little worried...

I have a perfect ZF5 and am now thinking of using it again....

Thanks!
Bob

·
Registered
55 Posts
From what I have read they hold up fine behind a STOCK cummins... They will not do well behind a cummins with hi hp numbers. I believe the bigest problem is with the clutch... I have read some who claim to have a DD clutch kit but I have no idea how its done or where youd get one.

I know of many people who have idi's with turbos and other goodies that seem to have no troubles... but a turbo idi will have no more than 300hp...tops! so my guess is the zf5 is good to about 300 hp and 550 torque.

The zf5 they put behind the 7.3idi was rated for a input torque rating 420 ft-lb ...
The 94 and up was rated for a input torque rating of 470 ft-lb...
the nv4500 is rated for a input torque rating 460 ft-lb...
the nv5600 is rated for a input torque rating 550 ft-lb...

I put allot of thought into using my zf for my swap but have decided against it... even though it adds a bunch of problems for me (I loose my spedo cable) I think the nv4500 with it's large aftermarket support or the nv5600 with it's higher torque rating is the way I wana go.

P.S. I got your pm... thanxs... beers in the fridge when ever your ready....:D

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was thinking of running my ZF with a southbend dual disk....

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
zf6 Is much tougher then a zf5. I would say a NV4500 would be easiest to deal with. That is what I am going to be using in my 77GMC with a 12v

1 - 4 of 4 Posts