Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these two codes. During the buzz test two injectors also sounded a Lot quieter than the others. I have tested the pins for cylinders 2&4 on the valve cover gasket and they check out 2 ohms for the gp pins and 4 ohms for the injector pins. My symptoms are white smoke at start up, unburned diesel smell and Slight rough idle. I swapped my idm for a donor(unsure if it is good or bad) and the symptoms stayed the same. The injectors were rebuilt from rosewood a few hundred miles ago. I had this problem before I changed the injectors. How do I check the plug on the harness going to the valve cover gasket? What else do I need to test to find my problem? Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the plug I want to test. Has a little oil on it. I tested all 4 of the plugs for current to the glow plugs and they were good. I don’t know how to test them for the wires going to the injectors

·
PSN intsigator
6,927 Posts
The middle pin is injector common, the 2 outside of that are injector signal, the 2 very outside pins are glowplug

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
For checking the injector/glowplug wiring: From each valvecover gasket connection's outermost pins (2 per connector) to ground you should get 0.1 to 2 ohms (indicates good plug and wiring). From each valvecover gasket connection's center pin to each immediately adjacent pin, you should get around 3 ohms (indicates good injector solenoid and wiring). You should not get any continuity from any of the outer pins to the 3 inner pins (indicates no shorts between injector and glowplug wiring). You should also get 0 to 1 ohms from each of the external harness connectors outer pins back to the Glowplug Relay's large terminal on the GP side (indicates good wiring from external connections back to the relay). Cheers!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How can I test the wiring harness that feeds the injectors to make sure I am getting the proper current to that injector? I will test for continuity to make sure there are not any shorts

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
There are no test that I know of where you can test the current or voltage to the injectors, just the wiring test for shorts, grounds, or other problems with the wiring

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
If the tests I mentioned come back OK, do the tests in the document heavydoc posted (GB Tech Bulletin 103). That will check the wiring from VC connectors back to the IDM connector. The buzz test is about the only way for us normal folks to test the voltage/current to the injectors. If you don't know what you're doing, you don't want to mess around with high voltage DC! Cheers!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not been able
To get the link provided to work but I think this test that I did in the pic is what you guys are talking about. I did test #1 on all of the pins listed and every one of Them came back 3.9, over the 3.6 listed. I don’t know if that is an indication of a problem? I don’t know how to do test 2 and 3. Not real savvy with a multi meter. Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After testing everything i decided to pull the valve cover and visually inspect the wiring. I found about 1/2” of bare wire on both under valve cover harnesses. Both yellow wires. The wires look stripped in the same spot on both harnesses. It doesn’t look right to me but I don’t have a new one to compare to
35FB960C-1B66-4350-BB2F-802214E5BD24.png

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
None of the wires on the UVCHs should have bare spots! Cheers!

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you

·
PSN intsigator
6,927 Posts
Yep definitely should not have any bare wire

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought new under valve cover harness from riffraff. International brand and they have the same bare section of wire in the harness. I installed them with a new valve cover gasket and the truck runs the same.I ohmed the harness from the idm back as the test instructions say to do in test #1 and I am getting around 6ohms on every circuit. Recommended is about 3.6. Here are the instructions I went by

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I bought new under valve cover harness from riffraff. International brand and they have the same bare section of wire in the harness. I installed them with a new valve cover gasket and the truck runs the same.I ohmed the harness from the idm back as the test instructions say to do in test #1 and I am getting around 6ohms on every circuit. Recommended is about 3.6. Here are the instructions I went by ...
Picture of the new UVCH? and the old?

That bare wire thing . . . but I have a 1999. I don't see a bare wire in this picture.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Did you zero your ohm meter? What reading do you get when you put the two leads of the meter together? It should be 0

Have you unplugged the injectors and re-ran the test and then ground the injector lead onto the block?

Have you tested the injector itself with the wiring disconnected? You may just have a higher armature resistance.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bug man thank you for the information. I have not tried that I will give those things a shot. When i tested the system a few days ago the numbers were still higher but consistent like They are now. I am not very knowledgeable on electrical systems and testing Them. I was told along with the ohm test I can test to see if the wires have a break or are grounding out by putting the ground of the multi meter on the battery and the other lead on the circuit of the system. I don’t even know what setting that is on The multi meter to test it. I think he said ground fault test?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts