Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Dakota, I'm 17 years old and I have been driving my dads 6.0L for the past year and a half, and I absolutely love the feel and sound of a diesel engine. His 6.0L is stock, and like almost all 6.0s, has a lot of issues. I have been saving for some time, and would like to get a diesel of my own. I have looked on craigslist, and the 7.3L seems to be in my price range.

Now, with this 7.3L I would like to have a good amount of power, preferably more than the 6.0L has. I want to tune it and put a turbo back exhaust on it, along with an intake of some sort. I have been doing a lot of reading lately, and I've seen mixed opinions on how much power a 7.3L can take without harming it. I've seen some people say I should get a torque converter and such. Basically.. I want to increase the power of my truck but maintain the life of the vehicle.

I've read the "newbies wanting more power" post, and all of the abbreviations and such is not exactly "newb" friendly.. So basically I am asking someone to spoonfeed me what I need to do to increase power and maintain my vehicle life. I don't have a lot of money to work with, so try and avoid things that are super expensive.

Thanks to anyone who has the patience to put up with this Diesel noob.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Ask a question...

I dont see any particular question in your post.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I would not even go that far with it...

Exhaust and gauges, drive it...

·
Registered
633 Posts
The more power you add the quicker stuff with high miles on it is gonna break. Transmission will cost you 2500$ minimum. Realize that just an oil change is gonna cost you a lot more than a car.
I'm glad I didn't have a diesel at your age. I couldn't have afforded it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree 100% with what CSIPSD said, get gauges, intake, and exhaust, and then drive it, get to know the truck and make sure its 100% before you chip it. guages will be a good way to troubleshoot how your engine is doing

4" exhaust anywhere from $300-$500 depending if its aluminum or stainless.
gauges should be around $400 youll want EGT, boost and trans temp. (autometer is a good start, isspro will be a little more expensive, glowshifts are cheap and really hit or miss on quality so most dont recommend them)
intake $100-$300, depending on brand ,AFE, S&B, Riffraff 6637, K&N(you dont want the drop in form K&N you want the full system)

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I had a 78 Dodge 2500, ex forest service with primer red... I put a 12" lift on it and 44's... It was cheap, it was ugly, and we rolled it about every weekend...

Didnt have a stereo so I had a boom box on the seat with... Dont laugh... A Joe Diffy Cassette in it most of the time. "Something women like about a pickup man..."

Crap I'm old...

·
Registered
633 Posts
My first was a 77 Chevy we called the condor because the fenders flapped when you drove it. Sported the boom box also just no cassette cause I couldn't afford it lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree 100% with what CSIPSD said, get gauges, intake, and exhaust, and then drive it, get to know the truck and make sure its 100% before you chip it. guages will be a good way to troubleshoot how your engine is doing

4" exhaust anywhere from $300-$500 depending if its aluminum or stainless.
gauges should be around $400 youll want EGT, boost and trans temp. (autometer is a good start, isspro will be a little more expensive, glowshifts are cheap and really hit or miss on quality so most dont recommend them)
intake $100-$300, depending on brand ,AFE, S&B, Riffraff 6637, K&N(you dont want the drop in form K&N you want the full system)
I didn't think I could run a turbo back exhaust without some sort of chip or programmer?

I was also told a K&N air filter would dust my turbo.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My first is my 2000 PSD lol to us younger people, I'm 19, these trucks are what's around and a lot of them are handed down in the family after daddy goes and gets a new one. If you do your own wrenching it really isn't all that bad. After that your paying for liquid gold at the pump.

·
Registered
272 Posts
No you don't need a chip to run an exhaust.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more power you add the quicker stuff with high miles on it is gonna break. Transmission will cost you 2500$ minimum. Realize that just an oil change is gonna cost you a lot more than a car.
I'm glad I didn't have a diesel at your age. I couldn't have afforded it.
Luckily I have been blessed with very generous parents, who are paying for my insurance and the gas I use travelling to and from school. I only have to pay for the vehicle, and any extra gas I use going anywhere besides school.

I am wanting a diesel because we own a 34' toy hauler camper, and I want to be able to go camping on the weekends. Right now I cant do that because that would leave my dad without a ride to work. There's also a certain coolness factor a 17 year old can achieve by owning a coal roller.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm probably the opposite of most, but I bought a cheap first car that needed some work. I fixed what was wrong, drove it, and had it for sale. Made $400 on that and bought another, did the same thing, and so on and so forth.

While my friends were out beating the crap out of their cars, I was driving around in a near new 3000GT VR4 when I was 18.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nice truck. My thoughts on it are about the lift. Bigger tires add extra stain to a tranny if gears weren't changed. The bigger issue is the toy hauler you want to pull. If its not set up to be pulled by a lifted truck your gonna have issues hooking to it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Its the drop in k&n you have to worry about.
I got rid of mine cause i got sick of oiling it ever couple months

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice truck. My thoughts on it are about the lift. Bigger tires add extra stain to a tranny if gears weren't changed. The bigger issue is the toy hauler you want to pull. If its not set up to be pulled by a lifted truck your gonna have issues hooking to it.
Our current 6.0L has a 6" lift, so its already set up for it. The truck looks pretty clean and well taken care of, so I am not too worried about buying it and it being a clunker. With the added power from the tuner and exhaust, would the tranny be able to take that strain without harming it? If not, how hard/expensive is it to switch some gearing?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would put the money towards a good torque converter and transgo tugger kit. Tugger kit addresses the valve body and also 2 snap rings in transmission that are prone to failure. Those couple of things will add quite a bit of life to the trans if its in decent shape now.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Well I'll promise you, you can't build one for what you can buy one. Hell of your parents are pickin up the tab pick out the best one.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts