Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on the 7.3L Forum. We're a Cummins shop that has all of our service trucks inspected by a local gasser shop. The gasser shop calls today and tells me about this 7.3L that he's working on. The owner bought it on Ebay out in the Midwest someplace. Drove it back to PA, put a trailer behind it and it overheats. Runs like a clock as long as it doesn't have a load behind it. He cleaned the radiator, condensor, etc. Changed the thermostat...all the usual. It still overheats with a load. Does the 7.3L have any unusual issue(s) regarding overheating?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Could be the Viscus Fan Clutch is bad. You should be able to hear it kick on when pulling heavy and loaded. You will know when it kicks on. It will sound like a jet when it kicks on and will cycle on for about 30 seconds or so and kick off.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I would look at the fan clutch, these trucks are not normally known for overheating, the cooling system is extremely overbuilt.

Dave

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
I'm with Bushwakd, if everything else coolant related then I would say check to make sure that fan is kicking on, you can't miss that sound. Load er up and listen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts