Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lost. Cant seem to figure it out. My truck still overheats while towing my trailer. (16k lbs) It is an 05. Headgaskets and studs put in 3yrs ago. Oil cooler has been replaced. Fan clutch replaced. EGR cooler upgraded (under warrany) with Neal Technologies cooler. EOT/ECT are within 10degrees of each other. Runs great with no trailer even with ID Extreme Street. Only pukes with trailer attached. Thermostat replaced and waterpump inspected and seems to be fine. My ECT/EOT seems to hover around 200-210* on my autometer gauges. Took a tech for test drive and his laptop says my gauges are off by almost 10*. Does this sound like HG's?

·
Registered
155 Posts
What grille do you have? I just replaced the grille on my excursion with a billet. After the change, I've noticed oil and coolant temps run about 10 degrees hotter. This is unloaded, highway cruising. Anybody want a slightly used billet grille?

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
Do either of you have the ZOODAD mod?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to have a billet grille. Took it off to see if that would help. Still overheats. I never had this problem before with the billet grille.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A few things to check. First, you said the fan clutch was replaced, but does the fan engage? Second, check the front of the radiator for any trash, weeds, anything else that might restrict airflow. Are you sure the cooling system holds pressure? Double check the cap and degas bottle, make sure there aren't any nicks where it won't seal, or cracks in the degas bottle. Then if you don't have the ability to check the pressure of the coolant system when it does this, I'd try a new cap. Do you ever hear it "whistle" when it vents? Are you overfilling the cooling system? Does it overheat on the gauge, or does it puke the coolant out the degas?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New fan clutch does ingage. Front of radiator seems to be clean. I am pretty sure the cooling system holds pressure. When I open the cap, I can hear the pressure release but I am not sure if it is up to standards. The tech seems to think so. I am not overfilling the overflow. I never really noticed the whistle. I know it is overheating because I can see it on my aftermarket gauges and when it gets up to 240*, I see the factory gauge start to climb.

·
Registered
360 Posts
What tune are you pulling the trailer with? Are you monitoring the EGT's? What is done for exhaust, still running the stock cat?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What tune are you pulling the trailer with? Are you monitoring the EGT's? What is done for exhaust, still running the stock cat?
I pull the trailer with a John Wood tranny only tune that also shuts the egr valve off. I watch the EGT's and always stay below 1250. I have a Corsa 4" cat-back with a 3.5" MBRP downpipe. The cat is still intact.

I

·
0 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do either of you have the ZOODAD mod?

What do you think of the ZOODAD mod? I'm thinking of doing it but some guys say it's worthless..

·
PSN Veteran
2,983 Posts
I have it atsah, some say it wont make a difference, but hell, opening a hole for more air to flow into cant hurt. I love mine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I pull the trailer with a John Wood tranny only tune that also shuts the egr valve off. I watch the EGT's and always stay below 1250. I have a Corsa 4" cat-back with a 3.5" MBRP downpipe. The cat is still intact.
Well damn, 1250 doesn't sound that bad. It sounds like you have a lack of airflow over the radiator, or a lack of flow through the radiator to me. What kind of condition are the hoses in, none of them collapsing or feel spongy? Maybe the thermostat isn't opening fully?

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
When mine was over heating it was the gaskets. I have seen numerous people with ARPs blow gaskets so just because you have studs, doesn't mean they won't blow.

I could start my truck up and watch the temp gauge bury itself in the red in probably 20 seconds tho lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did you check for debri between the intercooler and radiator. I've seen that overheat trucks many times.

I

·
0 Posts
Make sure there's Ford Gold anti-freeze in it and check what hillybilly123 said.
I have seen the same..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My 7.3 has done this before, and it turned out the radiator was full of crap and not allowing much airflow between the fins. I have not pulled a radiator out of a 6.0 but I pulled the radiator out of my 7.3 pretty easily, and inspected it to find out what the problem was. After that everything was fine. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am leaning towards headgaskets again. Only thing is that I do not see any smoke at start up. It only will overheat while towing my trailer up a grade. I have checked the radiator and it is clean. I did a coolant flush myself and replaced with ford gold coolant.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
You're measuring those EGT's from the manifold, right?

I just put a new shortblock in an 05 because it had a cracked block. The guy had already blown the HG's before, and I fixed that, but it continued to build pressure only when hooked to a trailer or run really hard, and my boss gave it back to him against my judgement.

What did it smell like when you pulled the heads off? The best way I can describe that truck's cylinder's smell was like woodsmoke. It just smelled burnt. Oh and the 3 cylinders that had cracks in them that were then apparent when I pulled it down 3 months after the first tear-down kinda gave it away, lol.

Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts