Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next couple weeks, I'm going to be starting an overhaul project for a friend. He recently came into some money, and would like to spend some of it transforming his pickup into something reliable and maybe a little fun.

The starting point:

A 1995 PSD CCLB F250. Motor has at least 3 FUBAR'd injectors, multiple leaks, crap idle, all stock, somewhere around 220K miles, just overall very tired. I'd like to do something nice for the guy (very close friend), so I'm looking at overhauling it.

I'd like to find out if my list of parts and mods is somewhat close to what I'm actually looking for, as well as whether or not there are little "tips and tricks" the old pros could clue me in to, since I'm going to have the entire motor apart.

For the Overhaul Kit - I was thinking this kit, Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Rebuild Overhaul Kit 2C3Z6R007A, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what I'm looking for? Are there better kits out there, or would it be less expensive for me to piece it together from a trusted vendor?

Other parts - I was thinking along the lines of:

Stealth SRP1.1 HPOP
Stage II injectors (160/80)
Maybe a D66?
6637 intake
3-inch dp to 4 inch exhaust
homemade e-fuel
probably a chip versus a tuner

I'm hoping to build a motor that he can tow anything he wants with (only truck he has and just started a landscape business), but still not break the bank, reliable every day starts (Denver, cold weather and hot), and have decent economy. He's not one to need :evil amounts of power, and usually has a light foot, but doesn't know much about diesels, so I'm teaching him - he needs low EGT's, torque, reliability, and economy, in basically that order of importance.

So - What say you, experts?? Thanks in advance!

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
riffraff has rebuild kits cheaper than that, but i would do a compression test before i rebuilt the engine. if it were mine and i needed it to work daily i'd prolly get 160/30's from pis, honey badger jr hpop and a s366 or modded h2e, efuel, 3" plenums, valve springs, plus transmission mods or a clutch

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In the next couple weeks, I'm going to be starting an overhaul project for a friend. He recently came into some money, and would like to spend some of it transforming his pickup into something reliable and maybe a little fun.

The starting point:

A 1995 PSD CCLB F250. Motor has at least 3 FUBAR'd injectors, multiple leaks, crap idle, all stock, somewhere around 220K miles, just overall very tired. I'd like to do something nice for the guy (very close friend), so I'm looking at overhauling it.

I'd like to find out if my list of parts and mods is somewhat close to what I'm actually looking for, as well as whether or not there are little "tips and tricks" the old pros could clue me in to, since I'm going to have the entire motor apart.

For the Overhaul Kit - I was thinking this kit, Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Rebuild Overhaul Kit 2C3Z6R007A, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what I'm looking for? Are there better kits out there, or would it be less expensive for me to piece it together from a trusted vendor?

Other parts - I was thinking along the lines of:

Stealth SRP1.1 HPOP
Stage II injectors (160/80)
Maybe a D66?
6637 intake
3-inch dp to 4 inch exhaust
homemade e-fuel
probably a chip versus a tuner

I'm hoping to build a motor that he can tow anything he wants with (only truck he has and just started a landscape business), but still not break the bank, reliable every day starts (Denver, cold weather and hot), and have decent economy. He's not one to need :evil amounts of power, and usually has a light foot, but doesn't know much about diesels, so I'm teaching him - he needs low EGT's, torque, reliability, and economy, in basically that order of importance.

So - What say you, experts?? Thanks in advance!
I would say your list looks pretty good. I may look into a different rebuild kit though. There are many out there and even the one from ford is pretty reasonable. You will definitely want a chip with good tunes. It makes all the difference with egts. It would probably be worth doing a compression test like stated before. These engines are usually good atleast 400,000 with regular maintenance.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Im backing Bruce on this one. Compression test before anything. You might be shocked that its just the injectors that are bad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support and advice! I'll make sure and run a compression test, just thought that if we were going to be putting performance mods on I would want to make sure the bottom end is going to stand up to it for the next half a million miles :D

Bruce, what would be the difference between the Honey Badger Jr and the SRP1.1? I could tell they were comparable when I looked up the Honey Badger, but I didn't really find any other stats on it...also, what do you mean by "modded" h2e? I'll research the different specs between the three turbos soon, such as the flows, sizes and ratios.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Honey badger Jr is a hpop produced by no limit tuning and design. It doesn't flow as much as an srp1 but you don't need that much oil for those injectors anyway. For turbos I would only go with t4 or t4i turbos considering the up pipes are probably shot. Modded h2e is just a tough turbo, comparable to an s366 but better imo

·
Been there....... done it
183 Posts
you might consider a CAC, if you're going with the bigger turbo, to keep the EGT's down

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up this truck last weekend and I've been trying to figure out all of it's issues...it runs like crap up until about 2000 rpms, then spools at 2300. After it spools up, it runs smooth. It has a pretty bad exhaust leak, I'm pretty sure in the up pipe, so I'm guessing that's why it takes so long to spool up.

Also, I was looking at getting some new gears for it, would it be happier with 3.92s or 3.73s? It has the S5-47...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
what gears does it have right now>?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok...got most of the list compiled:

CAI - S&B cold air intake
Exhaust - Diamond Eye 4" turbo back w/ muffler
ARP Head studs
Injectors - Full Force Diesel Stage II 160cc/80%
Springs - Comp Cams 910's
Pushrods - not sure what ones or from where yet
Chip - BDP 6-pos chip w/ custom tunes
HPOP - Honey Badger Jr.

That's the initial purchases. What say you?

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
If Jonathan is gonna tune it then I would go with PIS injectors and try to get a package deal on the injectors, hpop and tunes. Are you gonna do e-fuel and ic?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
E-fuel for sure, but undecided on the intercooler yet...I'm not sure if the returns on it would be worth the investment for what the truck is going to be used for. 30-40% time towing 5-15K lbs, rest of the time its a passenger vehicle. If the tunes are right I was thinking about keeping the stock turbo for now and being able to upgrade later, but I am leaving play room in the budget for it now.

Thanks for the advice on the package deal - I'm assuming Jonathan is with Beans?

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
He owns dyno proven formerly no limit tunin, he does beans 7.3 tunin. I would try to budget in an s366. You need a better turbo and the s366 is a nice setup that actually reasonably priced when you consider what you get

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
E-fuel for sure, but undecided on the intercooler yet...I'm not sure if the returns on it would be worth the investment for what the truck is going to be used for. 30-40% time towing 5-15K lbs, rest of the time its a passenger vehicle. If the tunes are right I was thinking about keeping the stock turbo for now and being able to upgrade later, but I am leaving play room in the budget for it now.

Thanks for the advice on the package deal - I'm assuming Jonathan is with Beans?
For that kind of weight you will need the intercooler with stageIIs or the truck would have to be detuned so much the performance mods would be almost negated. Intercooler works even on a stock truck.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
An intercooler install is muck easier than alot of people make it out to be. Its a bit time cconsuming but well worth the time invested. I would recommend an intercooler to anyone that dont have one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts