Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm driving my truck it doesn't want to shift out of second gear and the overdrive light will come on... Does anyone know what this could be? I just got a new tranny put in. Thanks

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
your shift linkage isnt adjusted properly... thats what i ran into on mine when i swapped the trans anways

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, well I didn't install it or anything so I don't really want to get into and mess up the warranty... is it something they can fix where it was put in?

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
u can fix it in the driveway..... u remove the clip from the #### cable where it hooks to the trans and move it toward the top a couple notches n try it again till it runs with no probs... took me bout an hour and i ended up goin all the way to the top of the linkage on the trans b4 it ran smooth... good luck if u need help my cell number is 7854432408

·
NEWBIE to PSN
29 Posts
The flashing OD light usually means there are tranny DTC's. Have the codes read. The tranny shop should do this for you, if they can.

If it is the linkage here is the procedure for adjustment.

Cable and Bracket Adjustment
Place the gearshift lever in the (D) position.
Place an eight pound weight on the gearshift lever. (Just apply some downward force on the lever)
Raise and support the vehicle. (That's if you can't crawl under.)
Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual lever. (Lever on left side of Trans)
Unlock the lock tab on the transmission shift cable.

Place the manual control lever in the (D) position.
Place the manual control lever in the first gear position.
Move the manual control lever two detents to the (D) position.

Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.

Lock the transmission shift cable lock tab.

Lower the vehicle.

Carefully move the gearshift lever from detent to detent and compare with transmission settings. Verify that the vehicle will start in PARK or NEUTRAL and backup lamps illuminate in REVERSE. If not, Steps 1-5 must be repeated and include digital TR or TR sensor adjustment in NEUTRAL. Readjust if necessary.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,062 Posts
The flashing OD light usually means there are tranny DTC's.
Not usually, ALWAYS. When the light flashes there is at least one transmission DTC stored. You must have it read to know what needs attention. Anything else is a guess and a waste of money.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well when i put it in gear it starts to pull instantly like the torque converter isn't pausing for a moment in between park and drive. I just starts taking off like it were manual and shoved into gear. So when i put my foot on the break to stop it, the motor will choke and die. Any idea from that?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Well when i put it in gear it starts to pull instantly like the torque converter isn't pausing for a moment in between park and drive. I just starts taking off like it were manual and shoved into gear. So when i put my foot on the break to stop it, the motor will choke and die. Any idea from that?
Mark already told you that you need to get the codes read. Or you can keep speculating and throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i got the codes read. they are p0733/p1670/p0782/p1395. which to my understanding, lead to ether mechanical issues, or electrical issues. of the PCM, and tr sensor. ive checked all the connections and cant see any where that is loose .cleaned the grounds connections around the fuse box. . and done several little test , but im not real knowledgeable of the electrical testing . do you know of a good diesel shopp in the ventura ca. area?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sac. is about a 6 hour trip.... im just gonna start learning how to do these pin point test in the manual..... i drained a lil fluid and it wasn't real clean. ether way i think im gonna do a pcm up grade .

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
sac. is about a 6 hour trip.... im just gonna start learning how to do these pin point test in the manual..... i drained a lil fluid and it wasn't real clean. ether way i think im gonna do a pcm up grade .
Why do you have to make any trip? I know for sure BTS is quite a few hours away from me but when my diode locked up and trashed the trans, I got someone local to R&R the trans. It was a Ford tech who did it after house for cash. I know BTS ships as does JW. Why do you have to make a trip? If you want to, call up BTS and JW and see how much it is to ship to you. Why risk making a trip and having it crap out on the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts