Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few years it seems like we are almost back in the 80's when smog control was a huge issue and there was all kinds of detuning and over engineering going on in vehicles.

Today a truck costs so much money it's sickening. And they are almost impossible for tinkerers to tinker on. Some may lean on the liability issue, but I absolutely can't stand it. There's no way most guys I know can go out and buy new and maintain them past warranty. Or trade in. The loss is unbearable.

For instance. Say your truck gets out of warranty and you lose your motor and want to do the swap yourself. Or maybe just change the turbo. But you have to pull the cab to do it....

I know there's a lot of stuff in front of the motor that makes it hard to fit it far enough forward to get it out without pulling the cab, but you would think that with all this forward thinking they would make it easier to service. Or not... Is it a money issue? Do they purposely manufacture in stuff like this just to make the extra buck in the long run too?

Any chance of moving the trans and transfer back to help weight distribution like a corvette? And leave the motor / turbo etc more accessible?

I talked to a well to do rancher a couple weeks ago who had a 2011 ps. He asked the dealer why the exhaust hung so low. The dealer told him to call Ford manufacturing or something. Gave him the number too. He gave them a call and Ford basically said they don't design trucks for guys like him anymore. It pissed him off, but he can afford to buy new whenever. He just picked up a couple "work trucks" for $65,000.00 each.

I like seeing progression and also appreciate all the people with the big bucks that can buy these trucks, or other stuff, toys etc... Because it all trickles down and we all get to enjoy it at some point in time.

It just pisses me off where the trucks have ended up. $60,000.00 for a friggin princess edition work truck!?

I'm sticking with my 2000 7.3 for as long as I can.

Any thoughts fellas?

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
7.3 FTW...

Because I can't afford anything else. :(

But really though, I agree.... I just picked up a another 7.3 a few weeks ago and before I bought it I looked at quite a few 6.4's and was close to pulling the trigger but, I couldn't justify spending 24k on a truck. I couldn't imagine spending 60k on one. LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
man you said it. i got a 08 in november of 07 because i wanted to be the first on my block:( that thing SUCKED. everything from bad turbos, flames out the exhaust, to broken rocker arms. it had 17 miles on it when i bought it. and i put 20Gs down cash. almost made me buy a duramax. :ford:

·
Built Not BOUGHT
93 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

When I first saw the 2011, I thought Ford took a #### on the proud heritage of the Super Duty. They pulled down their pants and squeezed a nice warm log all over everything I feel the Super Duty stands for. The Super Duty from its birth was a working man's truck that can hold its on with the Laramie and the Faggotie (Whatever Chevy calls their fully loaded truck) if it has to. It can get you to a jog site, take a beating, and look good doing it. It had powerful diesel motors that didn't blow up unless you had those famous 6.0s or 6.4s. They sounded powerful and the seasoned wrench with enough money and determination could make something truly awesome out of them.

Even when totally ruined by some insecure cocksucker with too much chrome, a way too big stack, the mirrors all the way out etc the Super Duty's pedigree shines on. You simply cant destroy its heart even when a Cummins gives its sheet metal its heartbeat. It's the truck that I grew to admire as kid sitting in the backseat of my boss's crew cab 04 and its the truck I rely on to get me to work since my first Super Duty. The Super Duty has been in my life in my highest of highs and my lowest of lows.

I can recognize its early powerplants rumble even when the truck is a ways away and I can spot its headlights when the truck is miles away in the dark. In 05-08 Ford threw us a curve ball with some changes. Some good and some bad. Sure we lost the 7.3 and we lost the leaf spring over axle in the front but I still felt the bond with the truck. My brother owns an 08 and we treated its powerplant and suspension no different than its older brethren and its responded quite well. We tore off all the usual suspects and made that hippy green diesel a real diesel that still gets over 18mpg if we behave.

2011 showed up and I've never felt so detached from my beloved Super Duty. When I see its hideous face I look away. I can't recognize its rumble. I can't recognize its lights and its price tag is miles away from what I can afford...and I don't give a sh*t because I'll sooner buy a Chevy and this is coming from a Ford owner to the death kinda guy. The truck is so over engineered its so overbuilt the original recipe (IN MY OPINION) is gone.

And I think its only going to get worse as time goes on. This is all in my opinion so if some 2011 owner takes offense my bad. More power to ya for being able to hand over 70k for a truck. I'll keep my gas guzzling V10 and I'll aspire to buy 7.3 or maybe a "good" 6.4 thats where I want to be. Its where I'll always be until we pump all the oil out of the ground and burn up all the premium and diesel.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
I miss my 97 fromm time to time but my 6.4 rides better, pulls better, and is just a blast to drive. I do think my 97 might have lokked better and it sure as hell didnt dent as easy or have a single issue. I dont miss my 04 or 06 one bit.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one lol! Although it's good to hear someone say they are happy with a new one too. They're just not for me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
All I know is, Dirtyboy's avatar is starring at me...

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

When I first saw the 2011, I thought Ford took a #### on the proud heritage of the Super Duty. They pulled down their pants and squeezed a nice warm log all over everything I feel the Super Duty stands for. The Super Duty from its birth was a working man's truck that can hold its on with the Laramie and the Faggotie (Whatever Chevy calls their fully loaded truck) if it has to. It can get you to a jog site, take a beating, and look good doing it. It had powerful diesel motors that didn't blow up unless you had those famous 6.0s or 6.4s. They sounded powerful and the seasoned wrench with enough money and determination could make something truly awesome out of them.

Even when totally ruined by some insecure cocksucker with too much chrome, a way too big stack, the mirrors all the way out etc the Super Duty's pedigree shines on. You simply cant destroy its heart even when a Cummins gives its sheet metal its heartbeat. It's the truck that I grew to admire as kid sitting in the backseat of my boss's crew cab 04 and its the truck I rely on to get me to work since my first Super Duty. The Super Duty has been in my life in my highest of highs and my lowest of lows.

I can recognize its early powerplants rumble even when the truck is a ways away and I can spot its headlights when the truck is miles away in the dark. In 05-08 Ford threw us a curve ball with some changes. Some good and some bad. Sure we lost the 7.3 and we lost the leaf spring over axle in the front but I still felt the bond with the truck. My brother owns an 08 and we treated its powerplant and suspension no different than its older brethren and its responded quite well. We tore off all the usual suspects and made that hippy green diesel a real diesel that still gets over 18mpg if we behave.

2011 showed up and I've never felt so detached from my beloved Super Duty. When I see its hideous face I look away. I can't recognize its rumble. I can't recognize its lights and its price tag is miles away from what I can afford...and I don't give a sh*t because I'll sooner buy a Chevy and this is coming from a Ford owner to the death kinda guy. The truck is so over engineered its so overbuilt the original recipe (IN MY OPINION) is gone.

And I think its only going to get worse as time goes on. This is all in my opinion so if some 2011 owner takes offense my bad. More power to ya for being able to hand over 70k for a truck. I'll keep my gas guzzling V10 and I'll aspire to buy 7.3 or maybe a "good" 6.4 thats where I want to be. Its where I'll always be until we pump all the oil out of the ground and burn up all the premium and diesel.
I think I felt a little tear run down my cheeck :ford:

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one lol! Although it's good to hear someone say they are happy with a new one too. They're just not for me.
I do wish I would have never sold the 97. But I was 16:doh: and didnt know and better.

·
IDI nooby
111 Posts
There is hardly and difference in the appearance of the 08 or the 11. Its just uglier imo

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The changes that ford made to the new super dutys, are concealed; plus the grill. I dont think ford messed up on the new design at all. I think its a pretty truck.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
EPA has been "castrating" since 1971...

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Ford really had no choice after the complete failure of the 6.0 and 6.4's, they HAD to reinvent the wheel to keep the SD in the game.

However, I do agree that there is no way the average guy can work on them, but the idea of the 6.7 was to not have to pull the cab to do any repairs. They look scary at first, but once you move a couple of things out of the way they really are not too bad. I believe Ford did an excellent job on the 6.7. Everything about that motor is made to fix ALL the issues they have ever had in the Powerstroke engine. Yes, it is over engineered, but with the strict laws the EPA has set in place they really have no choice with the available (proven) technology.

Give it time, like every other brand there will be growing pains...but at least Ford learns from their mistakes, and the mistakes of others and does something about it (cough**GM**cough).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.