Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but i am in the market for a new bike and not sure what i want. i have rode the oultaw 500 and love the feel of the bike handling ect. but it is pretty gutless. ive heard alot of good about the 525 motor just wonderin how it stacked up to the yfzs and trxs. i know my buddys got a yfz with a cam, bore kit, high comp piston, springs, intake exhaust. ect and its insane fast. and almost intimidating to ride but i dont really care for it on the trails so if anyones got experiance draggin up hill flat or just ridin itd be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
The new outlaws are awesome since polaris let KTM handle the engine. And they come stock with fox shocks. I hear stock for stock they destroy 450s.

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
personal prefs: It weighs 70+ lbs more than my TRX450R did. KTM is overrated, and Polaris should stick to making fancy utility quads. The only Polaris race quads I've been around (500's) were absolute trash from the ground up, nothing on it was built very well.

·
Rollin' Coal
291 Posts
Another vote for a Honda 450R. Mine has been used and abused for years now. Still running strong and have not had any major issues in 5 years. Just buy a red machine and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another vote for a Honda 450R. Mine has been used and abused for years now. Still running strong and have not had any major issues in 5 years. Just buy a red machine and be done with it.
yeah, i dunno it seems like the outlaw would be a better trail bike tho. i know ktm can build a good motor. and ive rode a trx and it was fast as hell but as said dont know how it would be on the trail and probably 50 percent will be trail ridin other 50 dunes.

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
I love my KTM. I don't like 4 stroke stuff, the just seam to heavy IMO. Plus I love the hit when a 2 stroke gets on the pipe.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love my KTM. I don't like 4 stroke stuff, the just seam to heavy IMO. Plus I love the hit when a 2 stroke gets on the pipe.
yeah its heavy but there gettin to the point on bikes that it they still perform way good. and there less maintnence. but yeah when in powerband theres nothin like a 2 stroke

·
Rollin' Coal
291 Posts
yeah, i dunno it seems like the outlaw would be a better trail bike tho. i know ktm can build a good motor. and ive rode a trx and it was fast as hell but as said dont know how it would be on the trail and probably 50 percent will be trail ridin other 50 dunes.
All I ride is the trails. All you need is a 13 front sprocket and a 38 rear and your 450r will run awesome and handle the trails like it was meant to be.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The old saying " rather have a sister in a whore house then a buddy on a Honda." I have the polaris ( girlfriends ) ltz 450 ( my boys ) and a yam 450 mine. They are all nice but my yz is my fav. The group I ride with has all makes form the Honda to kawies. Everyone in the group has said it's the nicest in the group, but the outlaw out of the box does it all pretty well. Very forgiving over jumps bumps and what not. I sure you can make it haul asss but with KTM ( keep throwing money) aftermarket parts are pricey.

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
The old saying " rather have a sister in a whore house then a buddy on a Honda." I have the polaris ( girlfriends ) ltz 450 ( my boys ) and a yam 450 mine. They are all nice but my yz is my fav. The group I ride with has all makes form the Honda to kawies. Everyone in the group has said it's the nicest in the group, but the outlaw out of the box does it all pretty well. Very forgiving over jumps bumps and what not. I sure you can make it haul asss but with KTM ( keep throwing money) aftermarket parts are pricey.
KTM you don't have to piss money away on parts like you do on Yamaha, Honda, Kawies. Comes from the factory with Brembo brakes, SS brake lines, Brembo Master cylinder. :poke:

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
How many MX champs ride KTM? How many Quad racing champs ride a Polaris?

yeah.............

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
How many MX champs ride KTM? How many Quad racing champs ride a Polaris?

yeah.............
I didn't say they were better, just as they roll off the floor from a dealer, KTM has a lot of the parts that you have to add to the Jap bikes. With a bike it comes down to 90% rider and 10% equipment where cars it comes down to 90% equipment and 10% rider. What do I know though, I used to race ccs. LOL

I used to beat guys that were on cutting edge crap, with my middle of the line superbike and got my ass kicked by a kid on a basically stock bike.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
save yourself from the 4stroke junk,the newer high performance 4s wear out quick compared to the older ones that are noted for reliability,and you can rebuild a 2s four times for the price of one 4s rebuild. get a nice banshee, 500 quadracer or 250r.if you have to get something brand new id get a honda 450r.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
save yourself from the 4stroke junk,the newer high performance 4s wear out quick compared to the older ones that are noted for reliability,and you can rebuild a 2s four times for the price of one 4s rebuild. get a nice banshee, 500 quadracer or 250r.if you have to get something brand new id get a honda 450r.
naw. i dont want a 2 stroke. they are cheap to rebuild but there also more maintence. ive rode banshees there completely useless anywere but the dunes. i was trail riding and it just kept boiling over then you got on a flat and keep it pinned and it runs great. so yeah. 4 strokes last pretty good if you take care of em which i always maintain my stuff very very well. :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
To answers the OP's original question, The new Outlaw 525 with IRS is a great, very capable machine. It sounds like the ideal machine for your type of riding. Another machine that you should consider is the Honda 700xx its weighs a little bit more, but the motor is very strong and you get Honda reliability.

I work for a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Polaris dealership and can tell you that Polaris has came a long long way over the last decade. I would not hesitate to buy a Polaris now days, they are excellent machines and the KTM 525 is tried and proven. For what you want to do with the machine, as long as you keep up on maintaining it, you will love it. I think its the ideal bike for your situation.

Also I don't know if you live near Utah, but I can get you incredible deals on any of the brands I mentioned I sell. Let me know if I can help ya!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To answers the OP's original question, The new Outlaw 525 with IRS is a great, very capable machine. It sounds like the ideal machine for your type of riding. Another machine that you should consider is the Honda 700xx its weighs a little bit more, but the motor is very strong and you get Honda reliability.

I work for a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Polaris dealership and can tell you that Polaris has came a long long way over the last decade. I would not hesitate to buy a Polaris now days, they are excellent machines and the KTM 525 is tried and proven. For what you want to do with the machine, as long as you keep up on maintaining it, you will love it. I think its the ideal bike for your situation.

Also I don't know if you live near Utah, but I can get you incredible deals on any of the brands I mentioned I sell. Let me know if I can help ya!
Thanks ive been doing a lot of research and i have always rode sportsmans, rzrs, rangers, outlaws, and some other polarises and have been happy. I do live in ogden but i dunno if i wanna go new or slightly used yet. im still savin up for it. but soon will be buying. appreciate the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts