Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct place, but I'm in the purchase dilemma.
I currently have a 1996 f350 CCLB 4x4. Auto. 237k miles on it. Runs and drives great. I can squeek out 18 mpg if I'm on the highway and don't go over 70 mph. It's been a great truck and I love it.
~~Do I upgrade?
A friend of the family has a 2002 f350 CCLB 4x4 auto. Newer version of my powerstroke. Both are single rear wheel. It has 142k on it. I can pick it up for $9500~10,000.

-The SD is a bit better shape overall, well maintained. Both have good tires and drive straight down the road.
-I can sell my truck for roughly 7500
-How would the switch from the obs to the superduty be? A whole new rig? Would I be happy with that over my older truck? --Am I going to miss my OBS?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
81 Posts
How much do you want for the OBS? It is funny, I want a OBS but could not find one for a decent price and I think there are a lot of people in my shoes. I say keep your old trusty OBS.

·
Registered
853 Posts
take that 3000$ difference and mod out the obs, bigger turbo, injectors, custom tuned chip

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey thank you for the quick replies- Surprising to see how much support there is for the OBS.
What do you think for longevity? The SD is actually an 03'.
Both trucks have original trannys (as far as I know). I am aware of the PMR's plaguing the newer 7.3's, but I don't plan on going over 450 hp or thereabouts. Driving the newer one felt like smooth solid power. I can assume that comes from it's 3.73 rearend (I've got the last few years maintenance on it, they are the original owners), and the 265 tires. My truck has 3.55's and 285's.
Is it worth going to the SD for 90ish K miles less on it?
Would I gain a lot of reliability with the SD for only a few grand more?
What am I looking at for Tranny life in between the 2?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm not sure about the obs stokers but I no if u put too much to the sd it will slip I would imagin either way to much power would make it slip. Ultimatly it is up to you I love my sd but wish I had an obs just for the body. I would guess the newer sd would be more reliable but like I said in the end its up to what you decide to do either way a 7.3 is a 7.3 great motors all around. As long as the previous owner took care of it with the miles that motor has on it its just a baby still. The other perk is updated interior but with more electric comes more relays and fuses and stuff to go bad. I'm sure you would like a sd after driving the old sterdy obs for a while

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
You won't get 18mpg out of the SD..........

·
Registered
708 Posts
You won't get 18mpg out of the SD..........
I get 18 all day in my 2001. Being the winter now, I'm getting closer to 17 now. I manually store every one of my fuel ups including distance travel and fuel added.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I get 18 all day in my 2001. Being the winter now, I'm getting closer to 17 now. I manually store every one of my fuel ups including distance travel and fuel added.
Some will some won't. You are a reg cab also, less weight.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I get 14.5 mpg in my 6.0 at 70mph but if I wanted mpg I would buy a civic. The sf is a better ride and more interior room. Reliability is all in who is taking care of the truck

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Got 18 in my last 02 rclb 350 running 80 up and down the interstate.
Not a crew cab either like the OP is buying.

Yes, some will, some won't but an f350, CCLB, 4x4 auto is hard pressed to do it. Depends on so many things. May happen once in a while.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Not a crew cab either like the OP is buying.

Yes, some will, some won't but an f350, CCLB, 4x4 auto is hard pressed to do it. Depends on so many things. May happen once in a while.
I agree I wish I could get 18 but sadly I don't I get about 15 and I got a super cab short bed

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well.. It's getting to crunch time.
I've had both at the house, weighing pros and cons of each. I've been able to drive it for a couple of days. It has factory everything except superchip performance tune-all I can say is wow. The truck will flat outrun mine. I did a 20-50 mph run with both (same road) and timed it to see what the difference was between them. I did 20-50 with my obs in 10.8 seconds. (chip, exhaust, intake) Felt peppy for a daily driver but really not that fast. It was a slight uphill climb. I then did the same road (with a climb) starting at 20 mph with the SD and before I realized it I was doing 60 and hit the stopwatch, took the thing 8.2 seconds.

I've was set on keeping the OBS, but then last night a friend called me and needed a tow as their truck broke down. I met up with them and the truck was in the shop and they needed me to tow a horse trailer to town that was sitting on the side of the road 30 miles out of town.
Turns out it was a 40ft horse trailer with sleeping quarters. Loaded I was told it was 22k #s. With 285 tires, 3.55 rearend and the e4od, it was what you would call a s... show to get it back to town. I've never towed that much and probably won't for a long time, but creeping up a pass at 18 mph in 1st gear was embarrassing. Even on the flat towing it was a fight the whole time. I could get to about 65 mph
I shouldn't complain too much as I probably won't tow that much for a long time, but I was definitely thinking about how much better that SD would have done. It might be about straight across for the SD in $$ so i'll let you know what I get!

·
Joined cracked block club
289 Posts
The interior & ride are way better in the SD. Now that I have upgraded to a SD from an OBS I won't be going back to an OBS.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
well.. It's getting to crunch time.
I've had both at the house, weighing pros and cons of each. I've been able to drive it for a couple of days. It has factory everything except superchip performance tune-all I can say is wow. The truck will flat outrun mine. I did a 20-50 mph run with both (same road) and timed it to see what the difference was between them. I did 20-50 with my obs in 10.8 seconds. (chip, exhaust, intake) Felt peppy for a daily driver but really not that fast. It was a slight uphill climb. I then did the same road (with a climb) starting at 20 mph with the SD and before I realized it I was doing 60 and hit the stopwatch, took the thing 8.2 seconds.

I've was set on keeping the OBS, but then last night a friend called me and needed a tow as their truck broke down. I met up with them and the truck was in the shop and they needed me to tow a horse trailer to town that was sitting on the side of the road 30 miles out of town.
Turns out it was a 40ft horse trailer with sleeping quarters. Loaded I was told it was 22k #s. With 285 tires, 3.55 rearend and the e4od, it was what you would call a s... show to get it back to town. I've never towed that much and probably won't for a long time, but creeping up a pass at 18 mph in 1st gear was embarrassing. Even on the flat towing it was a fight the whole time. I could get to about 65 mph
I shouldn't complain too much as I probably won't tow that much for a long time, but I was definitely thinking about how much better that SD would have done. It might be about straight across for the SD in $$ so i'll let you know what I get!
It all comes down to preference. I would take the obs, it has forged rods, and weighs considerably less, which equals better mileage. With a set of larger injectors, tune, healthy hpop and fuel system, that obs will do everything you want with plenty of power, and you will have a forged rod engine that will stand up to that power. Plus there is a cool factor of an old diesel thats quicker/more powerful than a newer one.

·
kenny
35 Posts
Keep the obs I love mine! I have several sd trucks and obs trucks with work beds in my fleet. I guess its just a preference thing, I just love my ods truck but its not quite stock:)

·
Registered
853 Posts
if the one your looking into buying has a super chip I would be skeptical about the trans

1 - 20 of 25 Posts