Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
POWERSMOKIN64
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after tuning my 09 f350 is always running on fumes at around 100 miles dte. I have actually ran it out twice now because I was never informed this would occur. I spoke with another 6.4 owner with the same setup and he said he never gets below half in his becuase his is the same way. I have researched a little but haven't found a solid answer. What is the cause of this? Is there a solution? And does everyones truck do this after tuning? Its not a huge deal, just remember to stop at 3/8 of a tank to be safe, but something still is not right.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My brother's 10 F250 had the same problem, it was stock. I don't know the fix for it, he traded it in. Sorry.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
Mine has never done that. I have had it at less than 20 miles to e.

·
One of a kind
2,198 Posts
I try not to do that though I dont like the idea of getting all the crud in the bottome of my trank.

·
NObama
189 Posts
had mine pretty low w/the Spartan a few times... never an issue. The dte should show 0 when the reserve begins, so something is definitely going on with yours... I've been to 15 miles to empty before and the truck still only took 34 gallons in a 38 tank

·
POWERSMOKIN64
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well since tuned I have always just tried not to go all the way down to a quarter which means empty now. Ran out with 91 dte and took an hour to get restarted after i put a six gallon jug in it. It's not like I can take it to the dealership and say hey since I modified the hell outta this thing my gauges don't work can ya fix it.

·
Super Sparky
1,225 Posts
What tuner do you have? Have you ever had any problems before being tuned?

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Have you reset your dash mpg or anything?

·
Diesel Addict
1,565 Posts
ive had mine at 0 and went another 5 miles til i finally found a gas station lol

·
6.4 Stroker
147 Posts
I've had mine at 0 DTE before too, never ran it out but have come very close twice now! Maybe it's the float in the tank causing the issue.

·
POWERSMOKIN64
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have retuned probably 25 times between h&s and kem and its always the same now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine has done this before and after tuning. The truck has been to the shop four times and still does it. Crying shame to spend this kind of money on a truck and can not trust the fuel gage. I now fill up at 300 miles or a 1/4tank which ever comes first.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
On the factory pickup tube, at the bottom, the little plastic piece has a little rubber check valve in the side. If that falls out you will start sucking air just under 1/4 tank. I have seen this multiple times on 6.0. I have not personally seen a 6.4 do it yet but that may be your problem. You have to drop the tank to check it.

·
POWERSMOKIN64
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That sounds like what may be happening. It has died on me before at a quarter then started back up in a couple of minutes and I made it to fuel. So it had to be sucking in air when there still some fuel

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 7.3 use to do that. But I had an in the tank problem my hose from the fuel pump had broke off. Yea I ran mine down to 5 miles to empty, no problems. I brought my truck in for the recall st 50 miles to empty. And the service guy told me I shouldn't do that. So now when it flashes I fill up, if possible

·
POWERSMOKIN64
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I miss the days of seeing the low fuel light to be honest. I have not seen it in a year probably. If I have a quarter I better stop soon. I can always tell when its low bc it will crank just a few extra clicks that means I'm thirsty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts