Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right in front of us, he started making weird meowing sounds, then staggered around a few steps, then had some sort of spasm as he died.

My girlfriend is devastated. The local vets were closed, so we drove half an hour to the nearest animal hospital, with her holding the cat...crying and hoping desparately for a miracle. But there was nothing to be done, he had already passed.

I'm not really a cat person, but I guess I had gotten attached to the ball of fur. But seeing how devastated my girlfriend is, that's what really hurts. Having the cat had really helped her out as she was going through some tough problems.

She wants to go right out and get another kitten. I'm not in favor of that, I think she needs time to heal before trying to substitute another cat, but yet her psyche is really fragile...so I suppose we'll wind up getting a kitten from the animal shelter.

Sorry to ramble on but this was very shattering to both of us. Unexpected too, the cat had just gone to the vet Saturday and other than being very overweight, he seemed to be in good shape. Only 5 years old.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
Sorry to hear that - we lost 3 Cats in the past year - my kids were heart broken at the first. I think they are getting hardened, unfortunately, as the other two died. I would say get her another kitten, in the next month or two, but let a little time go by.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I may catch hell over this...

4 cats there... April, Soot, Blue, and squrtal is under the table...

Momma cat... My sons... Hates everyone but him.

Squrtal again...

Gets worse... there are 8 total... I have one that is a spaz so I called him Garrett...

Anyway, get her another one, but from the shelter. Black if you can, black cats never get adopted.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
we have three cats. one is Nitrous one is Big eyes and the other is kevin. they have grown up with my black lab so they all think there dogs

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, this evening has been traumatic so your comments are very welcome. It was bad enough to lose him, but for him to go so unexpectedly right in front of our eyes...and then the 30 minute drive to the animal hospital with my girlfriend holding the cat, sobbing uncontrollably, that tore me up inside.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Not a cat person myself. While I love cats, they are either employees (mousers) or other peoples cats. I am however a pet person. If you have a pet that dies, it is very devastating to your life. Take your looking at cats immediately. Try to make her just look. Also (very important), try not to let her pick out a cat that looks anything like your previous cat. Try to make her wait as long as possible, but do not force it. Name it Turbo, or Garrett.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've already told her not to get a kitten that looks like the old cat, or that has a similar name. Tomorrow afternoon we'll go to the local animal shelter.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Gets worse... there are 8 total... I have one that is a spaz so I called him Garrett...
thought his name got changed to the fungus?LOL and what about those 6 in the shop?

sorry about your loss, we have 4 cats. my sisters cat is the oldest he has lived to the age of 18 so far. hope you can find her another cat.

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cat. We have 4. Last one we got is all black, our tenants left him behind when they left. The wife named him Diesel. :rockwoot:

The oldest is getting to the point that she is going to the bathroom out of the litter box. The wife is going to freak when she passes, had her for 15 years.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So sorry to hear of your loss...and so suddenly is definitely traumatic. It sounds as though it may have been saddle thrombus (blood clot formed in the heart, that then gets stuck in a blood vessel), we unfortunately see too many of these at the emergency clinic, it's heartbreaking.

I know how hard it can be to lose a pet, they're members of the family. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your girlfriend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry for your loss. We have five cats in the house and one in the barn. The oldest is 17. It sucks to lose a pet. I'm definately a pet person. 6 cats, 3 dogs, and 7 horses

·
Wanna cookie?
446 Posts
That's horrible, especially for y'all to have to see it happen right in front of your eyes. I'm praying she hangs in there and does ok... People all grieve in different ways. Give her a day or two and if she still wants one, heck, why not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts