Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who eats organic? All the meat I cook at home is organic along with vegatables and such. It's the most selfish thing a fat dude can do. The meat is much better. Any others?

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
I grow alot of the vegatables @ the house and some fruit @ the house. I havent heard of the "organic" meat. Whats different about it and is it really that much better for you?

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not full of anti-biotics and growth horomones. The chicken is more tender and has more flavor. The best steak I've had was grass fed organic filet.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
if you think that steak is good then you have never had good home grown beef.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
i hate store bought meat, it sucks, we used to run 650 hd of cows on the family ranch till my dad and i left and my gpa sold out, born and raised on home grown beef and our neighbor butchered it for us so we didnt have to worry about gettin some crappy meat from the meat locker that wasnt actually ours

·
Registered
93 Posts
I eat mostly organic. At least the things that matter like fruits and veggies. I also buy grass fed cow mmmmm.

·
I am the juggernaut.
3,380 Posts
a good bit of my diet is usda "organic" although it's kind of a hype..

I don't see a problem feeding cattle antibiotics.
I have a spring, summer and fall garden and grow a good bit of my veggies but only because they taste better..lol.

·
Hog Whisperer
677 Posts
I grow organic vegetables eggs pork turkeys and chicken for a living. Organic is good but local organic is better. Find a farmers market. Organic from Cali to Ga is older than what is grown and sold on a Sat morning in your local town.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Organic= farm raised and/or bred.

·
Hog Whisperer
677 Posts
Organic= animals raised and fed with grain raised with no antibiotics,GMO feeds,pesticides,herbicides of fungicides.
Vegetables cant be sprayed with any synthetic pesticides,herbicides and the seed actually has to be grown from plants grown organically
Certified natuarlly grown is actually the same standard but the fees are less complicated.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Thinking about going totally organic. I bought some bananas that were labled organic. They actually tasted better and lasted longer then X brand. I had stopped buying X brand bananas because I couldn't finish the bunch due to how bad they left a bad after taste.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
We have already put in an order with a local ranch. We're actually purchasing a side of organic beef (sharing the order with a friend) all butchered and ready to go.

We decided that if immunizations are not going to be part of our sons' lives anymore, we should also eliminate the antibiotics, hormones, etc. that are used in the commercial meat industry. We're starting with beef, and as money permits, we'll also purchase organic chicken and pork.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I try to buy organic fruits and vegetables as much as possible, but most of it comes from southern states or south america and has to travel a lot of miles to get here. It would be nice to have a supply that is much closer. The food would be more fresh and the fuel used to get it here would be less.

I eat hemp hearts everyday and use cold pressed hemp oil when I cook. They are 100% organic and come from a farm only a few hours away from me. Hemp hearts are the most concentrated source of essential nutrients know. 5 tbsp of those and you've given your body a full day supply of omega 3,6,9 and is a complete protein source. I notice a big difference when I make them apart of my diet.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Timely Article (click here)

WASHINGTON – The Department of Agriculture has failed to enforce penalties against some who falsely marketed foods as organic, according to an internal department investigation.

A report by the agency's inspector general says the agency needs to step up enforcement of those who sell products under the "USDA Organic" label but do not meet government standards to do so. The report says the department has made improvements in maintaining the integrity of the organic program in recent years, but needs to better handle complaints about potential violators.

Oversight of the organic program has become more important and more scrutinized as the industry has exploded in popularity over the last decade, growing 14 to 21 percent annually with sales of $24.6 billion in 2008. As more companies have vied to be part of the business, critics have charged that the government has not been restrictive enough in what it allows to be labeled as organic.

The internal report says the department has failed to monitor some companies it had already identified as improperly marketing their products as organic. In one case, the department never issued enforcement action against an operation that had marketed non-organic mint under the department's label for two years.
It's time the government gets out of trying to regulate every damn thing!!

If a producer wants to sell food that has been shot full of chemicals as "organic" ..............it should be their right! :mad:

:poke:

LOL

·
Registered
653 Posts
With capitalism comes morally void capitalists. Even when it comes to something as important as our food. Food Inc. is a great documentary showcasing all of it.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
No "organic" for me... just some things to consider when you chose "organic" goods.

First of all it is illegal to sell animals for human consumption that have been treated with antibiotics!!! If you get caught you get black-balled from selling your animals, if you can't sell your animals you go out of business.

If you do treat an animal with anitbiotics, they can not enter the food chain for several weeks/months (this is called withdrawal time) so that antibiotics will have a chance to work their way out of the animals system.

Some beef is implanted with Estrogen (a naturally occurring hormone)... but guess what all animals (including people) produce hormones in their body naturally. Actually plants produce hormones as well.

The amount of estrogen levels found in a 6 oz. serving of beef from a treated animal is 3.8 ng (nanograms). The amount of estrogen in a non-treated animal is 2.6 ng. Four oz's of cabbage contains 2,700 ng of estrogen, one tablespoon of soybean oil contains 28,370 ng of estrogen and the average adult male will produce 136,000 ng of estrogen on a given day.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts