Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
--------
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out. Let the page load and you'll see a cut-away of the engine in motion. Click that image to go to a page with an interesting graph comparing the progression of diesel engine power density.

http://www.ecomotors.com/

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
That's awesome...

Twice the effective bore in the same space. You can make the same torque (greater when you consider the rod ratio for the outer pistons) with roughly half the BMEP, which means for any given BMEP and rpm you can make twice the power...

Hence the specific power they were so geeked up about. Or to use their term, "Power Density".

Good stuff.

Was it two stroke? Looked like ports in the cylinder walls and I didn't see any valving.

·
Registered
229 Posts
is the physical size of a motor like this going to be a problem? seems like it would have to be real wide.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
That's awesome...

Twice the effective bore in the same space. You can make the same torque (greater when you consider the rod ratio for the outer pistons) with roughly half the BMEP, which means for any given BMEP and rpm you can make twice the power...

Hence the specific power they were so geeked up about. Or to use their term, "Power Density".

Good stuff.

Was it two stroke? Looked like ports in the cylinder walls and I didn't see any valving.
I was thinking the same thing. That's 4 times the powerstrokes as opposed to a conventional four stroke motor.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
View graph engineering is so nice. Be interested to see an actual running engine.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Same principle as the older Leyland engines.

·
2010 BOB Points Runner up
2,300 Posts
I had heard of a 6 cyl/12 piston engine before, never seen one but I had an idea of the concept. I heard they had some in submarines?

-Michael

·
Registered
987 Posts
The nice thing about this design is it looks like they use modules, so you can piece together as many cylinders as you might need that'll fit in your available space. Like how folks pair up rotor/housing modules from Wankels to build 3 and 4 rotor motors.

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
I believe those have been made, it's an fairly old design IIRC.

Opposed-piston engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like the MYT design, the only negative thing I've seen about that one is that it looks so ... flimsy.

There are other neat engine designs like the kugel, IIRC a wolfhart type engine.

There's also the Delta engine, which is an opposed piston engine in a delta configuration, running 3 cranks, the Napier Deltic..

Napier Deltic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there's a four stroke that's designed to run without valves, using pistons to open and close the exhaust and intake. That one almost became a reality. Can't find the link right now though, I think I saw it on wikipedia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts