Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a F350 to pull my 36 ft toy hauler. I am wanting everyones opinion on whether I should get a 6.0 or 6.4? There are some good deals to be had on a nice 6.0 but from what I have read, I would need to spend $5K to get the heads done and the egr either deleted or replaced along with the oil cooler, as ones with these mods are hard to find. With this added expense, that puts the price close to a 6.4, but I also have read that the 6.4 have some issues that would need to be addressed such as the egr delete. I am leaning toward the 6.0 because they seem to be powerful and dependable with the mods done. I have been stationed in Japan for the past 6 years so I have no experience with either engine and any opnions from the truck owners would be a great help. If you had your choice, what would you do?

Thanks for your time

39 Posts
I've had 2 6.0's and just got my first 6.4. I'm not doing too much heavy towing though. My father bought an 06 F350 ECLB DRW 6.0 brand new in august of 06 and he only uses it to tow his 40' toy hauler. Truck has 26,000 miles on it now and 20,000 of those are probably towing the toy hauler. His truck is completely stock and he has never had one issue with it.

Longest trip he's done with the trailer is south FL to Montauk, NY-1300 miles one way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had 2 6.0's and just got my first 6.4. I'm not doing too much heavy towing though. My father bought an 06 F350 ECLB DRW 6.0 brand new in august of 06 and he only uses it to tow his 40' toy hauler. Truck has 26,000 miles on it now and 20,000 of those are probably towing the toy hauler. His truck is completely stock and he has never had one issue with it.

Longest trip he's done with the trailer is south FL to Montauk, NY-1300 miles one way.
Thanks for the info. That was something else that I noticed, most of the 6.0 that I have read about that had issues had a tuner installed with a high horsepower setting and people are using the highest setting for daily driving or towing. I just want a dependable truck to pull me toy hauler, not to drag race while Im pulling the trailer.

·
Big Sun fanatic
111 Posts
Thanks for the info. That was something else that I noticed, most of the 6.0 that I have read about that had issues had a tuner installed with a high horsepower setting and people are using the highest setting for daily driving or towing. I just want a dependable truck to pull me toy hauler, not to drag race while Im pulling the trailer.
I don't know as the above statement is necessairly true. Regardless of what the die hards say I still don't think that "dependable" and "6.0" go together in the same sentence without a fair amount of cash or a horseshoe up your @ss.

A good friend of mine did his research and bought an 06 6.0 from a dealer with 89,000km on it. Never worked, tuned, or abused, clean oaisis report, and was thrilled silly with the truck. The very first trip they took from BC to California the oil cooler blew. Out of country in a bum truck, he wasn't happy.

I also have a friend who's city maintenance on a fleet of 6.0 busses. Nothing but horror stories. Not saying they can't be a good motor, but don't think just cause it's stock that you're safe.

Do your research, get it checked out, and build it to be reliable. If you're not interested in working on it (or don't have a good mechanic and a good pocketbook) I'd look for something else.

My .02 cents!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know as the above statement is necessairly true. Regardless of what the die hards say I still don't think that "dependable" and "6.0" go together in the same sentence without a fair amount of cash or a horseshoe up your @ss.

A good friend of mine did his research and bought an 06 6.0 from a dealer with 89,000km on it. Never worked, tuned, or abused, clean oaisis report, and was thrilled silly with the truck. The very first trip they took from BC to California the oil cooler blew. Out of country in a bum truck, he wasn't happy.

I also have a friend who's city maintenance on a fleet of 6.0 busses. Nothing but horror stories. Not saying they can't be a good motor, but don't think just cause it's stock that you're safe.

Do your research, get it checked out, and build it to be reliable. If you're not interested in working on it (or don't have a good mechanic and a good pocketbook) I'd look for something else.

My .02 cents!
Thanks and your .02 cents is what I was looking for. I found an 06 with 72K on it for $26K. The trucks looks extremely clean and exactly what I am looking for, just a little gun shy because of the horror stories. Glad I have a few more months before I have to make a decision. I would like to find a nice 7.3, but they are rare. Any ideas on any other brands. I like the Fords but can't afford a $30K truck that I have to work on. Thanks for your time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts