Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
PwrStrkin
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna do an intake on my 02. Ive had AFE's in the past. Loved em. Now i know alotta guys run the DIY kits. Ive read that with those filters fall apart after rain parts of the filter getting sucked into the motor and so on and so forth... just wondering what you guys thought about the two in comparison? Thanks guys!

·
Diesel Guru
54 Posts
I was in the same boat with having Afe's in the past and on this truck I went and bought the actual Tymar kit and love it. All in the same time I loved my Afe's as well. So it's all in what ya wanna buy.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Have yet to see a 6637 get soaked, unless your doing some serious puddle jumping/mud boggin.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
On a stock truck, neither will make a difference in performance. The only reason to change out the stocker is if you're having issues with dirt getting through the airbox.

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
I use a DIY intake with the donaldson filter, it is Hydroponic (spelling?) meaning it does not let water through. I have put these filters through a hell of a lot and there is never any sort of anything getting through them.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
DIY is the way to go. I had one on my 01 with a zoodad mod and i never had any problems with rain getting in.

Most of us run the 6637 filter from NAPA but if you feel the need a Donaldson filter is very nice also.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have had the AFE on my truck for a few years now. The rubber is starting to dry rot/crack on it. I will be switching over to the Donaldson.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
After years if using K&N, then an AFE proGaurd7, I refuse to use an oil filter on a diesel, especially in dusty conditions. They will suck dirt particles through the filter and pinhole it. Tymar all the way. Many, many tests have shown them to flow better even when dirty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts