Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought about pickin up a set of heads and having them ported and polished, valve job and installing good valve springs. is it worth the extra money to port and polish? the guy i got the truck from does head and valve work and said he would make me a good deal on the work if i went that way. but i def need to ATLEAST put valve springs on the truck but figured what the hell.... might as well check into the extra head work. so opinions on if its worth it and what kind of gains i could expect. my list of mods are as follows. oh yea.. can the heads come off with the studs and not have to lift the cab?

250cc hybrid injectors
gen3 HPOP
full aeromotive fuel system
garrett Ball bearing charger- 38r
ts performance 140hp 6stage custom tuned chip
arp head studs
electrics fans
2003 stock powerstroke intercooler mod. with S.S. tubes
map sensor boost overide
fully billet built trans

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea on your engine. That's a lot of injector for that turbo and the ported heads will help get a little more air in and keep your boost down so that the turbo isn't pushed way out of its map.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
I would say port them......but not if the price was high.

There is ALOT of time that goes into porting, and if I had to pay someone else to do it it might not be worth the $$.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i have the stuff to do it.. but the way i look at it.. i have never done it and i know there is more involved than just getting in there and grinding the hell out of it. if it were that simple everyone would do it. theres an art to it.. and he knows what he's doing. his family owns a business building sprint, drag and other racing engines. he knows his #### on head work. i found a set of heads for cheap. and figured if i could pick em up then do all the head work, valve job and valve springs.

parkerfly.. what kind of boost should i be seeing now?

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
My best guesstimate would be high 30's or so. Maybe 40. That's without head work.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
well i have the stuff to do it.. but the way i look at it.. i have never done it and i know there is more involved than just getting in there and grinding the hell out of it. if it were that simple everyone would do it. theres an art to it.. and he knows what he's doing. his family owns a business building sprint, drag and other racing engines. he knows his #### on head work. i found a set of heads for cheap. and figured if i could pick em up then do all the head work, valve job and valve springs.

parkerfly.. what kind of boost should i be seeing now?
Be careful, Porting N/A and porting F/I are completely different. I wouldn't polish the int side at all, just remove restriction with the grain, nothing upstream, guide stem, & SSR. EXH side again nothing upstream, keep the polishing in the port and the Manifold transition LSR with some shape on SSR. Then again at the Y but no polish.

That's just my $0.02.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be careful, Porting N/A and porting F/I are completely different. I wouldn't polish the int side at all, just remove restriction with the grain, nothing upstream, guide stem, & SSR. EXH side again nothing upstream, keep the polishing in the port and the Manifold transition LSR with some shape on SSR. Then again at the Y but no polish.

That's just my $0.02.
thanks for the heads up. he started with the gassers.. but has done a quite a few diesel heads too. i guess i should have been more detailed.. im not having him go full out on the heads. just clean up the runners, remove restriction and smooth out everything in there and do the valve seats. probably run stock valves and havent completely decided on springs yet.. hamilton is coming out with psd springs now.. he already has 6.0 springs out and is working on the 7.3 springs now.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
thanks for the heads up. he started with the gassers.. but has done a quite a few diesel heads too. i guess i should have been more detailed.. im not having him go full out on the heads. just clean up the runners, remove restriction and smooth out everything in there and do the valve seats. probably run stock valves and havent completely decided on springs yet.. hamilton is coming out with psd springs now.. he already has 6.0 springs out and is working on the 7.3 springs now.
Sounds like he knows his onion.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea id say so.. he just built a 12v for a guy and did all the head work.. he said it should be damn close to 1000hp on custom ht60 2.6 single. its goin on an engine dyno real soon. he's shooting for the same goal on my old truck. he just got an edm machine so he can do his own injectors and is on the prowl for a pump bench. other than that their shop is set up do do everything else himself. one of his good friends makes cams so he has that covered too. everything in the engine for my old truck is going to be his. not anyone else's

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
prob a boost leak someplace. I hit 30 with my set-up.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts

That's just my $0.02.
Actually the 7.3 head needs more work done tob the intake side and just a mild cleanup of the exhaust. The intake port flows LESS than the exhaust on these heads..... totally backwards from what is normal for most engines.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the advice guys. Now just gotta get up the money to get it done. Which will take some time cause of school... damn my job for making me get certified

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I have some cams in development that will also take advantage of the porting as well. Comp 910 valvesprings are a decent upgrade for a low buck build, but while the heads are in the machine shop, a good double spring that can handle .550 would allow a better cam grind than my stg1.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Can't wait to try that stage 1 with the ported heads! Setup will be swamps 250/100's , 38r, 910 springs shimed .30, ported heads, gearhead stage1 cam, modded 17* for now, itp rr, dual sd pumps. Should be fun :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have some cams in development that will also take advantage of the porting as well. Comp 910 valvesprings are a decent upgrade for a low buck build, but while the heads are in the machine shop, a good double spring that can handle .550 would allow a better cam grind than my stg1.
need any testers!?!?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts