Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, Im going to be calling dp tuner some time next week to order some stuff.

Just wanted to know what you all think about a 100hp economy increase and a 60hp towing increase???

About half of its time on the road it will be towing an enclosed trailer weighing approx 6k lbs.......

The truck is so far completely stock besides a down pipe and got rid of the CAT converter.

Lastly, when I order this stuff i will get a setting for "stock" wont I?? I know I can just call and ask them this stuff but........... Hey what can I say, its thanksgiving and Im bored out of my mind!! LOL

·
STILL LEARNING
18,339 Posts
The most you will get of of a OBS with a CHIP and stock injectors is 75hp. And that is with everything being in OPTIMAL condition.

So you can have your pic of settings from 0-75hp

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The most you will get of of a OBS with a CHIP and stock injectors is 75hp. And that is with everything being in OPTIMAL condition.

So you can have your pic of settings from 0-75hp
I see and thanks you Brad.

If I were to go with the 75 hp economy, say If I decided to pass someone on a 2 lane or just got on it in general, would it blow black smoke?? I don't want that at all. Im not wanting to waist fuel. The whole reason for the chip is mostly to get the better fuel mileage but also to get a little extra horsepower.

Wonder what the Power to torque ratio is on one of these chips? Like if I got a 75hp econo chip how much torque would I be gaining? Sorry for the rookie questions. Im just lovin this site!! :blah:

·
STILL LEARNING
18,339 Posts
75 is not an econo setting. It is an all out setting, so YES it will blow black smoke.

And econo setting is 25-40.

Fuel economy will be based on your right foot

If you do not have gauges, that should be 1st on your list. Along with turbo back exhaust and some sort of less restrictive air intake setup if you dont have those things already

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
75 is not an econo setting. It is an all out setting, so YES it will blow black smoke.

And econo setting is 25-40.

Fuel economy will be based on your right foot

If you do not have gauges, that should be 1st on your list. Along with turbo back exhaust and some sort of less restrictive air intake setup if you dont have those things already
Well, that sucks is all i have to say bout that............ I hear all these folks saying they get there best mileage on there "hottest" settings. I just cant imagine that if Ive got the HOTTEST setting "75" that I would get better mileage if it will be blowing smoke at half throttle up hills or so....

I have a Ford asc mechanic "over 25 years experience and head mechanic at a large Ford dealership" that has a 99 powerstroke with a dp tuner with a 50 and 100 hp setting. He actually has my truck in his shop now and is going to be doing the ordering of my tuner and installing it. He saids there is absolutely no reason to have an egt guage unless your planning on being an idiot behind the wheel. He has had his truck since new and halls his racecar from state to state in a 32ft enclosed trailer and has never had a problem with meltdown and has no egt guage and truck over 250k now. Could the need for the guages just be because my truck is not intercooled????

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
what brad is saying you can get the 100hp setting but it wont give you 100hp, only 75hp at the max. if its not custom tuned you wont get that much of a gain. an intercooler helps with the egts. i would go with a sponsor here for a 6 pos with custom tunes. may cost a little more but worth it IMO

·
STILL LEARNING
18,339 Posts
Well, that sucks is all i have to say bout that............ I hear all these folks saying they get there best mileage on there "hottest" settings. I just cant imagine that if Ive got the HOTTEST setting "75" that I would get better mileage if it will be blowing smoke at half throttle up hills or so....

I have a Ford asc mechanic "over 25 years experience and head mechanic at a large Ford dealership" that has a 99 powerstroke with a dp tuner with a 50 and 100 hp setting. He actually has my truck in his shop now and is going to be doing the ordering of my tuner and installing it. He saids there is absolutely no reason to have an egt guage unless your planning on being an idiot behind the wheel. He has had his truck since new and halls his racecar from state to state in a 32ft enclosed trailer and has never had a problem with meltdown and has no egt guage and truck over 250k now. Could the need for the guages just be because my truck is not intercooled????
There is a need for gauges!!!! I would NOT take your truck to your "friend" if he is saying there is no need for gauges. A STOCK truck will put out 1100-1200 degrees. Adding ANY fuel to the mix will heat things up more. Aluminum melts at 1220* and your pistons are aluminum, you do the math. And an intercooler helps with EGT but it i NOT a cure all

·
Premium Member
15,560 Posts
You can get better mpg in the highest HP setting if you drive right, also your friend is an idiot if he says there's no need for an egt gauge.

Boost, egt and trans temp gauges are a MUST, I also hope you have at the very least 3" downpipe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a need for gauges!!!! I would NOT take your truck to your "friend" if he is saying there is no need for gauges. A STOCK truck will put out 1100-1200 degrees. Adding ANY fuel to the mix will heat things up more. Aluminum melts at 1220* and your pistons are aluminum, you do the math. And an intercooler helps with EGT but it i NOT a cure all
Well, Ill just get a guage then. He said if I wanted one it was absolutely no prob, he just has plenty of ppl he knows that havent gone with any guages and have had no issues. He also said there would be a need for the guages if I were planning on pulling long hills. This truck will be a landscape truck used only around here on flat ground pulling the 6k lb trailer. He just didnt see a need.

Well okay then, sounds like the chip and a egt guage it is.

Now, last question, will I get my best mileage with the "hottest" setting driving easy, Just because it will blow black smoke on the hottest position doesnt mean I gotta be thumpin on it. Also, seems everyone talks bout a 6 position chip. Can I just have them do the 3 position chip?? Like "stock", 50hp "tow", and the 75?

Thanks, and guys, no one thing Im questioning your intelligence. Sometimes getting info from sev diff folks can make ya scratch your head but hey Im just tryin to learn. Thanks a billion once again!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can get better mpg in the highest HP setting if you drive right, also your friend is an idiot if he says there's no need for an egt gauge.

Boost, egt and trans temp gauges are a MUST, I also hope you have at the very least 3" downpipe.
Yes sir, it is a 3" downpipe. The guages I will do then, the 3 you recommended. I guess with a boost guage, it would tell me if Im loosing boost somewhere also huh? with just 3 guages would you put them on the pillar I guess?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, I myself have a quad pod (the 5th one we had made) and have a scan gauge in there with the other three. Trans temp is needed since you will be towing.
Cool beans guys, I appreciate all your time!!!!

Can I get the pillar guage cluster in my factory grey color thats in my ford??? and can I get ALL this stuff from dp tuner?

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
The performance tunes vs the econo tunes have different shift points if you have an auto.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind.. If you want the full 65 to 75 extra HP at the wheel you will have to go with his 120 tune... just letting you know that so you don't get the 80 tune and think MAN that is not as good as I thought it should be...

·
STILL LEARNING
18,339 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind.. If you want the full 65 to 75 extra HP at the wheel you will have to go with his 120 tune... just letting you know that so you don't get the 80 tune and think MAN that is not as good as I thought it should be...
Seriously? WTF is that BS

·
STILL LEARNING
18,339 Posts
Yup... That was what Jody told me when I bought my chip from him..

Unless things have changed, That is what Jody told me..
I dont get it. Why cant ya just get a tune for 25hp and get 25hp. other tune for 50 and and get 50hp. another for 75 and get 74hp. Especially since that is all you can get out of it anyway. Why the hell should I have a 140hp tune to only get 75 out of it. that is just STUPID.

Might as well say you are getting a 300hp tune but only get 75hp

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
I dont get it. Why cant ya just get a tune for 25hp and get 25hp. other tune for 50 and and get 50hp. another for 75 and get 74hp. Especially since that is all you can get out of it anyway. Why the hell should I have a 140hp tune to only get 75 out of it. that is just STUPID.

Might as well say you are getting a 300hp tune but only get 75hp
The way he explained it to me was, That his HP choice selection is based off of the 99 and up pickups.. So you need to choose a higher setting to get the HP for the 97 and older..

But I agree with you brad.. You should get what you choose. But with the way post tuners are set up people get the 140 tune for the OBS pickups, THEN this is the good part. the go around bragging about there 140 horse tune :doh: LOL AND when it outs out smoke they think they got the a true 140!!!

What I think tuners need to do on the web like that is, Set up a spot just for the 97 and older pickups that have the AA injector. Then only Give you a 20 to 80 HP window to choose from. AND do it so what you choose is what you get.. that would work out little better... well.. imho

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.