Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
We In The Money Now
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK it's almost tax time and it's time to do the fuel as well as the injectors, i know this as already been talked about but here it goes. I know i can do a RR i have kicked it around a bit, but how good is that cross over? I understand that there not the same, it's just if i did R&R i might not be able to do as big injectors, i haven't even picked out who I'm going threw for them. but on the other note if you could put better injectors in and have the FRX or an RR and not as big of injectors. Which would you guys do? I also have the WW2 and the waste-gate from diesel site as well and new glow plugs. I just haven't put it on yet wanna do all of this at the same time. Also going with the hutch mod,And a fuel pressure gauge for which ever one i choose. Basically it's gonna come down to stage1 or stage2's guess you could say I'm shooting for around no more then 400hp done. The Ape only has not even 134,000 on her and I've had here for 7 years this march just tryin to RAPE HER a little more :evil. Thanks guys for any input.:gun:

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
The riffraff FRX is a very high quality kit. Which way you go really depends on how big you plan to go on injectors. I did the FRX cause I went with PIS 175/80's and felt a full RR return would be over kill for my needs. 400-425 whp was all I wanted. I'm completely happy with my choice from top to bottom.
If 400 hp is your goal, I say FRX and I HIGHLY recommend PIS injectors!

·
Registered
619 Posts
A few issues back in the diesel power magazine, they had a 97 powerstroke I believe they did some dyno tests on. Truck had a few mods, rr, injectors, exhaust etc. They did dynos with a stock fuel pump and was drastically losing fuel pressure and horsepower at wot. Then they switched to a Walbro fuel pump and set fuel pressure at 65 psi. Fuel pressure stayed the same even at wot and gained horsepower. The point I'm making is that with a regulated return, fuel pressure can be adjusted to a set psi. Frx doesn't have this option. When i ran frx, i had too much fluxuation in fuel pressures. If you ever decide to run a walbro, your pressures will be dangerous unless you can control them. Trust me, I've been there. Frx works fine but better potential out of your fuel system comes with a regulated return.

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
What sized injectors were they running? And how much better is the superduty fuel set up compared to the OBS?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Heck I don't remember. I threw the magazine away. When superduties came out, the fuel system was updated. As the trucks get newer, so do the fuel systems. Ive got money burning a hole in my pocket for the same injectors power007 has. I've got my cores boxed up and ready to be shipped. How do the 175/80's perform?

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
I think they are great! Great idle, good fuel mileage, really lite the 38r down low and pull strong up top. EGT's are tame when towing 10k lbs in my high HP tow tune. I would not change anything about my set up!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm ready. So there's proof the frx works great. Good luck.

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts

·
Diesel junkie
234 Posts
A few issues back in the diesel power magazine, they had a 97 powerstroke I believe they did some dyno tests on. Truck had a few mods, rr, injectors, exhaust etc. They did dynos with a stock fuel pump and was drastically losing fuel pressure and horsepower at wot. Then they switched to a Walbro fuel pump and set fuel pressure at 65 psi. Fuel pressure stayed the same even at wot and gained horsepower. The point I'm making is that with a regulated return, fuel pressure can be adjusted to a set psi. Frx doesn't have this option. When i ran frx, i had too much fluxuation in fuel pressures. If you ever decide to run a walbro, your pressures will be dangerous unless you can control them. Trust me, I've been there. Frx works fine but better potential out of your fuel system comes with a regulated return.
First off, the Walbro fuel pump isn't rated for diesel. It could literally fail at any time, especially if you are running winter fuel in the North. You'd be better off running dual OEM pumps, that is what most guys have done when that Walbro craps out.

Secondly, you must have had the 1st Gen version of the FrX. The newer one (that I own) has 3 different springs to adjust the pressure. Set it and forget it.

Lastly, the FrX is a regulated return. It merely utilizes most of the stock hardware whereas a "full" regulated return replaces pretty much all of the stock components (fuel bowl delete, new feed lines, etc). Don't be one of those guys making #### up to justify dropping $1k on your choice of regulator kit.

To the OP: If you aren't planning to run a huge set of injectors, the FrX kit works great if you are cool with keeping the stock fuel bowl. I've had mine for a year now, no complains and my fuel pressure is rock solid with stock sticks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Op. Hutch mod ad frx will work fine for 160/30's. Much bugger I would deffiantly think about a full RR.

·
Registered
619 Posts
First off, the Walbro fuel pump isn't rated for diesel. It could literally fail at any time, especially if you are running winter fuel in the North. You'd be better off running dual OEM pumps, that is what most guys have done when that Walbro craps out.

Secondly, you must have had the 1st Gen version of the FrX. The newer one (that I own) has 3 different springs to adjust the pressure. Set it and forget it.

Lastly, the FrX is a regulated return. It merely utilizes most of the stock hardware whereas a "full" regulated return replaces pretty much all of the stock components (fuel bowl delete, new feed lines, etc). Don't be one of those guys making #### up to justify dropping $1k on your choice of regulator kit.

To the OP: If you aren't planning to run a huge set of injectors, the FrX kit works great if you are cool with keeping the stock fuel bowl. I've had mine for a year now, no complains and my fuel pressure is rock solid with stock sticks.
Thank you for your wikipedia on Walbro pumps! I was just explaining to the op what I read in the magazine. I wasn't telling him to go out and purchase one. I personally have ran the frx and for your incorrect assumption it came with three springs. IN MY OPINION, I didn't like it because I wanted to adjust fuel pressures. I changed my pump to a Walbro and my fuel pressures were at dangerous levels. One Regulated return later, problem solved. Now I can run big injectors or small doesn't matter. Like I said earlier for the op, frx will work just fine for his application.

·
We In The Money Now
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the info and opinions, in my thread most likely gonna go with the FRX i feel it's gonna suit my needs as far as hp goals. O i love how you guys call me OP that just cracks me up LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
They just mean that the comment they made or a portion of it was directed to you the Original Post (er) and not to the person who had made the post directly above theirs...

OP = original post

·
We In The Money Now
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks i thought they meant op because I'm still new and i don't have a lot of post yet:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts