Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if I’m posting in the right area for this, but it’s a 95 F350 crew cab.

I’ve got rust on the roof, along the drip rails, the top of one A pillar and along the seams by the rear window. One of the issues is that I can see light rust inside the cab on the interior side of the drip rails, it’s hard to picture, but i don’t think it’s structural.

I’ve been throwing around a few ideas. My biggest unknown is if I were to cut out all the rust, would I compromise the cab structure? The area I’m worried about would be the top of the A pillar and the seam where the rear cab meets the roof skin

1.DA sanding and using some Ospho on the exterior and the interior area as best I can (won’t be able to sand or clean up the inside area

2. Sandblast exterior roof and A pillars..etc and ospho the interior area

3.Sand/Ospho A pillar and along the seams by rear window, replace roof skin.

4. Same as #3 but cut out any rusty portion of the A pillar and below the rear of the cab/roof seams. Replace roof skin.

Last consideration is whether to weld all the spot welds or use a combination of panel adhesive and spot welds.

Goal is to fully get rid of the rust and not have it return.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Tire Automotive tire Stairs Road surface Tread
Sky Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive carrying rack
Sky Cloud Atmosphere Automotive lighting Hood
Street light Wood Cloud Sky Tints and shades
Cloud Land vehicle Car Vehicle Sky

I’ve got rust on the roof, along the drip rails, the top of one A pillar and along the seams by the rear window. One of the issues is that I can see light rust inside the cab on the interior side of the drip rails, it’s hard to picture, but i don’t think it’s structural.

I’ve been throwing around a few ideas. My biggest unknown is if I were to cut out all the rust, would I compromise the cab structure? The area I’m worried about would be the top of the A pillar and the seam where the rear cab meets the roof skin

1.DA sanding and using some Ospho on the exterior and the interior area as best I can (won’t be able to sand or clean up the inside area

2. Sandblast exterior roof and A pillars..etc and ospho the interior area

3.Sand/Ospho A pillar and along the seams by rear window, replace roof skin.

4. Same as #3 but cut out any rusty portion of the A pillar and below the rear of the cab/roof seams. Replace roof skin.

Last consideration is whether to weld all the spot welds or use a combination of panel adhesive and spot welds.

Goal is to fully get rid of the rust and not have it return.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Pretty sure those are areas with seam sealer. Would need to strip it down, clean the rust, reapply seam sealer, then repaint.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I’m just trying to decide which method to use. The rust from the inside is one of my bigger concerns as it’s not really accessible. That 2nd to last picture is taken from side the truck through the roof support.

These areas with seam sealer, are they structural? If I cut out all visible rust would I compromise the structure of the cab?

thanks

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
That I'm not sure of. Hard to say from just a picture, but that all looks like surface rust. No reason to cut it out.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my initial plan, until I found some from inside (second to last picture). It was hard to capture, but from what I can tell, this is the other side of the drip rail panel, which makes me suspect once I get the seam sealer off the drip rails there will be rust and probably some holes.
If it were easy to access I’d just sand it off and ospho it, but the overhead supports inside the cab make it impossible to do so. I may be able to get in there with a brush and get ospho on it, but that’s about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts