Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Reg cab no power locks and sometime when i clean the truck or have a passanger get in the light on my dash for the "open door" sticks ok. my overhead light will stay on but go off after a few secconds of driving but the dash light stays on. i looked in the crevise of the doors but dont see any sensors (i had a chevy before and thats what that truck had) any ideas on why its doing this or where the sensor is? like i said its not everytime, just once or twice a week...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also it only started coming on this winter maybe 3 months ago AFTER i striped the tint, i used water w some soap and a window cleaner, don't know if that matters...

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
bump

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
it sounds crazy but it works every time for me. Spray some lubricant like PB Blaster or WD-40 in the door latch mechanism. Then open and close the door like 20 times, or until the light eventually goes out. Just soak the latch with the lube and open and close the door.

Like I said, it sounds crazy, but it's worked every time for me.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
:whs:
Try lubing the latch /lock mechanism on the the door really good with WD-40 or some lube spray of your choice and work the door open and close several times. Before you do it look at the latch. Not the striker bar but the latch on the door. Activate the latch with a screwdriver so the latch imitates the door is closed and see if the light goes out. You will need to squeeze the door handle to activate the mechanism to the open latch position. If it will not open you will have to help it open by squeezing the handle and prying the mechanism latch to the open position. So spray should get it to loosen up and cure the problem.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Door switch is bad, it is attached to the door latch inside the door.

Over time they will accumulate dust and dirt and cause the switch to stick closed. Yes you can clean them, but its best to just replace it.

They are not to hard to replace, just pop the door panel and remove the door latch by carefully prying loose all the rods and wires that connect to it, then remove the three torx screws that hold the latch to the door. Once loose you can finesse the latch out of the door, or you can remove the switch with the latch still inside the door by just giving it a half twist. Twist in a new switch from Ford and you are all set.

Good Luck

·
Registered
700 Posts
Believe it or not you wouldn't belive all the fords that do this and 9 times out of ten a little WD40 fixes it every time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
907dave is right.. bad door ajar switch. Problem with them is, they are mounted in the door latch open end up, so they accumulate dust, and when you get them wet (like alot of rain or a car wash), they will stick. You can replace them, but the design hasn't changed on them, and will more than likely be a temporary fix, until it gets full again. My crew cab does it every time a give er a good bath. Hook up a scanner and check which door is doing it. So far, ALL 4 of mine has done it:shrug:

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Door switch is bad, it is attached to the door latch inside the door.

Over time they will accumulate dust and dirt and cause the switch to stick closed. Yes you can clean them, but its best to just replace it.

They are not to hard to replace, just pop the door panel and remove the door latch by carefully prying loose all the rods and wires that connect to it, then remove the three torx screws that hold the latch to the door. Once loose you can finesse the latch out of the door, or you can remove the switch with the latch still inside the door by just giving it a half twist. Twist in a new switch from Ford and you are all set.

Good Luck
I did the WD40 trick to mine 4 years ago, no repeat of the problem since than. The truck lives outside in the weather.

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Glad the WD-40 trick worked for you.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
In the five years I have been on this and a previous forum, I have never seen the WD40 "trick" fail.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It worked for my 02 Excursion. The rear doors had the problem and it drove me nuts trying to find out where the switch was...... until I read a forum post and gave it a WD40 bath. Almost two years and the problem is still fixed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts