Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a diesel mechanic but I'm learning. I happened across a thread on installing injectors, and read that not getting injectors seated is a common prob for new guys. Well I got nervous and decided to pull the valve covers and double check torque after I smack them with a rubber mallet. Sure enough got another 3/4 turn on torque wrench. I'm going to pull passenger side tomorrow and check them as well. My question is I put 600 miles on the engine before I came across this info, do I need to worry about the Orings or smack, torque and go.

Also a big shout out to all experienced diesel guys that post in these forums

:bowfast:

·
Registered
853 Posts
I would worries about the orings binding if you got that much more room out of them after 600 miles but I am also not a diesel mechanic by any means

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ford's, or Navistar, spec is that if an injector hold down bolt checks less than 50 in/lbs, then the injector needs to be removed, new o-rings and cooper crush washer installed. So, set you torque wrench on 50 in/lbs and check. But with only 600 on I'd likely just retorque and call it good, unless they were ungodly loose.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Unless it came loose I wouldn't worry about it. I had one come loose and almost hydro lock a cyclinder. There was lots of white smoke and very strong fuel smell due to the fuel leaking past the copper washer and into the cyclinder. Unless you had something like that I bet your fine. Another thing to watch for is getting oil into the hold down bolts, it acts like the hold down bolt is tight but it's really hydralic pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts