Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
wheres the fat chicks?
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend asked me to post this on here.
his truck has a slow oil leak and he forgot about it and the level got down below the dipstick.there wasnt any oil on it.it started to make a wierd noise so he checked it,then filled it up.he said the noise went away.his ? was is there any internal damage that it did when the oil got that low.thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
How long did he run it at that level.

·
wheres the fat chicks?
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm....i think like 2-3 minutes.5max

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Should be OK.

·
wheres the fat chicks?
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what would go wrong if he wouldnt have caught it in time.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Likely nothing. If the oil gets too low the truck will shut down. Once the pickup starts sucking air, the hpop loses its prime and it will start skippping then shut completely off. Had two different ones last year had the same problem. Slow leak, got too low, they called me and I checked it out. Diagnosed one on the phone hahah.
Filled it with oil and all was well. Oh yeah, then I fixed the oil leaks for them.

·
wheres the fat chicks?
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks,he will be relieved when i tell him

·
Registered
871 Posts
Once the truck looses 8 qts of oil it will have trouble feeding the HPOP you can get it started but it won't run much longer than 30 seconds. Your bearings and everything will still have oil just your injectors won't

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Once the truck looses 8 qts of oil it will have trouble feeding the HPOP you can get it started but it won't run much longer than 30 seconds. Your bearings and everything will still have oil just your injectors won't
would this cause the injectors to "halfway" fire, causing an uneven spray causing even more harm on the injectors than the normal air the fuel system already lets in?

If that makes any sense:doh:

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
No, they either have enough oil to fire, or they don't.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Actually, the ones I had in the shop got justtttt low enough to skip if you drove it easy , if ya rolled in it hard before warmed up they shut down completely. If it warmed up good it ran okay. Very slow leak. My personal truck had a line get loose and lost oil reallly fast. It shut off three or four times. Cranked back up just ong enough to get out of the road. Three quarts and drove the other two miles home before it shut back down as I rolled in the shop doorway. When it first started sucking air it had a skip that just got worse as it lost more oil. Never showed low oil pressure, just got enough air in the HPOP to cause injectors not to fire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts