Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! Just thought I'd introduce myself! Kind of a long read here but bare with me! I'm Josh, a 24 year old Diesel tech at Penske. Mostly new to Fords, been a GM guy for the most part my whole life. After doing a few small block and LS swaps I've just gotten bored of them. I bought my first Ford last year, a 2014 Mustang GT track pack last year, 20k miles, premium, 6 speed manual. Fell in love. Fast forward to about 2 months ago (this is where you guys will start to realize how crazy I am 馃ぃ馃ぃ...) Decided to buy an 88 Bricknose, super cab long bed 4x4, 7.3 zf5 truck. This truck was originally intended to be a WINTER BEATER but after realizing how shot the cab was, I found a whole southern rust free body for $600. Loaded up the truck and went down to Tennessee 2 weeks ago to grab it. That Monday I ripped the body off and decided what a perfect time this would be to update the drivetrain a little. Fast forward to last weekend. Picked up a wrecked 03 6.0 F250. Kid slid off the road and whacked a pole. Drove the truck home 60 miles, didnt skip a beat (it sure was cold though!) So yeah. That's where I'm at now. Just wanted to give a shout out to Cummins Junkie, I've been following your 6.0 OBS build and it has really given me the inspiration to do mine. Some bad ass work you have going on there. Anyways, I look forward to getting to know some of you guys, and sharing my new found interest in Ford Diesels!!

PICTURE TIME!!!

Project Shamu
Very nice! Cant wait to see the build.

Welcome to PSN

Trust me, I got this...
Haha I was just going to say, if you have any questions I might be able to help a bit! Ill follow this one for sure. Shoot now I really gotta get mine done...

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet lol I appreciate that! Not gonna lie when I read your post about how the front cab mounts fit right on the SD frame I got a little excited. I was originally gonna keep the brick frame until I saw that. Luckily for me the CCSB SD wheelbase is only 1 inch longer than the ECLB OBS, so I shouldn't have to do any frame shortening. Not ready for all of that firewall work though lol. I think I'm just gonna see if I can either notch mine or make some sort of doghouse like a van

Trust me, I got this...
Yea you could totally do that, I thought it would be more convenient to have the whole firewall so all the holes for wiring and steering linkage, etc would already be there. It's mainly from where the throttle is over to where the HVAC box is that's the part that needs to be cut up. You may even have to modify that HVAC box a good deal to get it to clear as well. Also, the wiper channel needs to be cut into extensively. Still dealing with that crap show right now actually... I can tell you what not to do at least in that respect.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Are you using the Super Duty HVAC and dash or no? Ideally I'd like to keep the bricknose dash with the super duty cluster stuffed in it, but we'll see how it pans out.

On another note, going to pick up another truck this weekend! 2004 F250, another 6.0 truck, supposedly studded and deleted. 206k on it, needs a trans. Guy is asking 1500. Cant pass it up! Planning on taking the good 5R110 out of my donor truck and throwing it in this one, since I'm going ZF6 anyways. Hoping for a quick flip but we'll see!

Trust me, I got this...
Yea I am using the super duty HVAC stuff, or trying to at least. Im gonna have to customize a lot of the air ducts I know it because of the firewall. I will use the cluster from the 6.0 too; it won't start without it. Im keeping the obs dash, it's gonna have all super duty wiring under it though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that's what I was planning on doing too. I think the 03-04 cluster will fit in the bricknose dash mighty fine! Atleast I can hope lol

Anyway BIG SCORE TODAY!!!

Snatched me up a complete 6.0 ZF6 today! 1500 bucks, came with everything I need (I think) even managed to snag a clutch pedal and a FICM for the white 04 I just bought. We are getting there! Almost got the cab ready to come off the donor super duty, so I can do some test fitting soon!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update. Got some work knocked out over my unanticipated 3 day weekend. Had to go to the ER today after I got some metal embedded in my eye when I was cutting the SD cab up to scrap. Ended up calling off work, which meant more time to work on the truck!!

Super duty cab is finally off! Found some awesome things out about my 302k "mystery" 6.0. The kid told me it was completely stock and that it was his uncle's truck. Apparently he was wrong. It's a studded and deleted 2004 motor. Cool! I'm going to do the oil cooler as preventative maintenance while everything is out in the open, then I'll probably call it good.

As soon as I find my tape measure I'm going to measure the firewall out, and see where I have to start cutting. Anyways heres some pictures

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Yea and I told myself I was just going to do a stock rebuild... Careful, it'll get ya.
Lol I think we all know how that goes 馃槄馃槄. I cant go too wild, I'm trying to redo my Cummins truck as well, got a southern cab and bed at the body shop for paint and I know that isnt gonna be cheap. Too many projects eating a hole in my pocket lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts