Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
6.0 money pit
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have talked to a couple buddies about getting a one piece driveshaft instead of the 2 piece. what do yall think?

i have heard that the joints cause a serious amount of power loss and of course you wont have to worry about your carrier barring going out anymore...

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
I heard it was damn near impossible to make that work well... but I remember a lot of off-roaders did it at one time...

·
Lovin Life...
2,900 Posts
I thought you could only spin them so fast (like 70 mph)?

·
throttle jockey by trade
297 Posts
Chevys run a one piece shaft
Yes and they are Aluminum and are LARGE diameter.

I spoke with a driveline shop and asked them this question and they said that it would have to be to large of diameter and to thick to actually be feesable.

(The heavier you make the tube the harder is wips like a jump rope at freeway speeds)

They said the best bet was to stay with two piece type and optimize U-joint angles for a lifted truck.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
You need to run a heavier tube to keep them from whipping at high speeds....harder to balance as well.

I've never been a fan of that heavy of a driveshaft.

I recommend a two piece shaft with a CV.
Of course, that's what I run on my lifted truck :D

OUO now has two piece shafts with CVs for sale...you also run their driveline drop with this.

·
Registered
703 Posts
how much for the drive line

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
I read something quite a while back about a guy who got a one piece carbon fiber shaft... Don't remember anything about it though.

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
yeah...last I heard it didn't go so well....the company states it could hold like 1300ft pnds of torque,...but it didn't..

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Was that on FTW? I thought that's where I read it, but wasn't sure...

So, it broke?

1300ft/lbs at the flywheel or on the shaft????

·
King Dingaling
9,386 Posts
Don't remember,....all I remember is,...it broke...and the truck didn't have many mods on it, and was well under the 1300tq mark.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Not as much as you. I just met him this weekend. A few other members know him a little better. Tank and Slowleak I think. He's a member and posts sporadically. You can also find him on FTW as well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts