Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Smoothcriminal
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to here the pros n cons between the older 5.4s and newer 5.4s. Im thinking about getting a crew cab superduty in the near future hopefully. I like the superduty body better than the newer f150 bodys. Dont really need 2 diesels, thats why im thinkin of a 5.4. No offense to anybody but I do not want nor do I need the v10. Had a 01 crew cab f150 with the 5.4 and I liked it a lot, did everything I needed it to do and I didnt think it did bad on gas at all. Got ride of it, since then I wanted a crew cab since.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the new 5.4 have blocks made out of aluminum and the higher mileage truck start having issues because of them

·
Smoothcriminal
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm havent heard of this, just dont know if the 3v 5.4 was as good/worse than the 2v5.4. Ive heard mixed opinions about both.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had on 03 Expedition with 154K on it when I sold it. Ran like the day I brought it home no issues. The only reason I sold it is my two oldest kids are now driving did need an 8 passenger vehicle.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
earlier 5.4 had oil leaks from headgaskets, and were known to spit plugs out. Also have seen many intake manifold failures (crack). Newer 3V plugs break in the heads, some have fuel injector issues (get stuck open), timing chain/cam phaser issues with poor maintenance. Other than that engines themselves arent bad, seem to be a bit of a pig on gas though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We use the 5.4's in our work box trucks SRW E350s and I liked the earlier ones I think 05 -06 than our newer 10's and 11s

·
Registered
909 Posts
I worked as a mechanic for a drilling company that used super duty 5.4 6 speed trucks. Other than 1 truck that had a broken plug (idiot driller tried to change plugs and snapped it) I had great luck with them. Kept the oil changes to right around 5k miles. Kept fresh fuel filters on them. We traded them off with 200k on them and I thought about buying quite a few of them at that time. Other than the trashed interiors the drivetrain was solid

·
Registered
23 Posts
I sold an 06 f150 with a 5.4 to my dad and he now has close to 200k on it. Plugs and wires had to be changed and ended up breaking. Cost him about a thousand bucks. Other than that only thing ever to go wrong with that motor is a manifold gasket. That happened pulling a big ass 26ft pontoon through the hills. No maintenance besides oil change.

My wife has an 08 expedition with same motor. Mass air flow went out at 40k left us on the side of the road. Wife was driving home from Houston 2 wks ago and it wouldnt crank after stopping at the store for gas. Starter went out at 85k. Only time ive ever bought an extended warranty and it was a good choice. He ride has also been all over the country and been in North Dakota with me through some extreme cold weather. She has all her maintenence done on time at a great dealer.

I just traded off a platinum f150 with a 5.4. I had a superchips programmer and pulled my 10-12k camper with it. I dont take it easy on any vehicle I drive and I didnt cut it no slack on the pipelines. 50k at trade in with not one issue ever.

I had a f250 box truck with a company I used to work for with a 5.4. Had 110k when I got it and 135k when I left the job. Gave it hell. Pulled 15k of test weights on a heavy duty trailer with the truck fully loaded of tools. Pulled scissor lifts daily. Gave it hell everywhere and didnt have a problem.

Overall I like the 5.4. Considering the ones ive had and what I put them through I believe its a good reliable motor. Yea we had problems with the expedition but ford was great to us so I cant complain. Gas mileage in the expedition gets around 17 or 18 consistently. My platinum was around 16, a little better on long trips. 06 was around the same. The work truck was about13 but it lived at redline with loads behind me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts