Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember these from back in the day they used to be pretty highly thought of. Anyone have any opinions of them or know how good they are because I picked up a Hi Fonics Olympus VII 4 channel in perfect shape and the guy I got it from hardly used it since new. I thought it would work well for front speakers and maybe some rear fill. The price was right Free :D

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Its before my time but like you said Hifonics was HIGHLY regarded back in those days.

Looks like that was back when Zed Audio built the Hifonics amps. Zed is known for very nice stuff. Also found a classified add for that amp from last year asking $250, so Free sure is a nice deal :D

Like a nice piece of car audio history ya got, and probably retain is value (much higher than free) for years to come.

Looks like these are some of the specs for that amp, sure puts out some power :D

Hifonics Olympus
MSRP $899usd
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected] bridged
0.02% THD
114dB S/N A-WTD
10-32kHz range
-Direct connect
-Built-in stereo 2-way electronic corssover
-Switchable mono/stereo bass
-Crossover frequency fully variable from 50Hz-5Khz
-Stable to 2ohm stereo

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Here's some shots of my hi fonics amps when they were in my trans am. Thats what Im installing in superduty.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is a good set of components would match up to this amp well for the front? I was thinking a set of D6's or maybe Type R's? I have a set of eclipse SE6800's in the front now and I was gonna move those to the back super cab doors, would this amp kill those 6x8's?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I found the whole manual on these amps and it looks like I'm gonna be able to do more with it than I thought.

110x2 @4ohm or 180x2 @2ohm for the front I'm thinking 2ohm because dont some components have a hook up on the front cross over for rear fill and then that turns them into 2 ohm load? please set me straight if Im wrong its been a long time since I was into this stuff.

360x1 @4ohm for the sub
then use my 6x8's off deck power for the rear fill

This is gonna allow me to only use one amp where I thought I was going to need to use my current sub amp as well but not now. I need to see if there is anything out there to control the inputs for the low side so I can tune the bass from the dash.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
What is a good set of components would match up to this amp well for the front? I was thinking a set of D6's or maybe Type R's? I have a set of eclipse SE6800's in the front now and I was gonna move those to the back super cab doors, would this amp kill those 6x8's?
Mine would rip the factory 6x8's to shreds.

That amp (which is actually 2 hifonics amps merged with a special module they offered that hooks them together to form a single amp ran 2 infinity kapa series plate mounts, 2 stillwater mass drivers and 2 stillwater kicker woofers and had a ton of power left over. Heck you could probably arc weld with the thing to be honest.

It could drain an optima batter that ran it in 20 minutes if the car wasnt running. I had 0 gauge wire powering it.

Whats really sweet about the ones Ive got is the electronic crossover system. Being able to pick what freq range goes to what channel. Theres 5 channels to the setup I have. Actually had it tuned wrong to start with and parts of music would be missing when you listened to it. Wild hearing instruments removed that you know were suposed to be there.

·
NRA4ever
172 Posts
I don't have old Hifonics amps but I have 2 old Phoenix Gold 475 titanium amps that work great. Made in the USA. 1 ohm stable in stereo 2 ohm mono. I have run a system with just one of these. The old amps kicked butt.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Here's some shots of my hi fonics amps when they were in my trans am. Thats what Im installing in superduty.

Are those old school Round Solo Barics??? Those got a great rep just like the Hifonics amps your using to power them. Back before Kicker just built loud fart subs.

Well I found the whole manual on these amps and it looks like I'm gonna be able to do more with it than I thought.

110x2 @4ohm or 180x2 @2ohm for the front I'm thinking 2ohm because dont some components have a hook up on the front cross over for rear fill and then that turns them into 2 ohm load? please set me straight if Im wrong its been a long time since I was into this stuff.
I am certainly no master but I have yet to come accross a component set that includes a crossover built to include rear fill like your saying. Usually the BASE crossovers will be simply for the speakers they are included with. Then next step will have 2 outputs for the tweeters for different Attenuation, or a jumper for the switch. Next stage and usually only in higher end components will have Indivudual inputs for both tweeter and mid while again only having 1 output for each tweeter/mid, this is for "Bi-amping" where you get more control through the amp to each mid and tweeter instead of just through the crossover.

You could possible wire the component mid and the 6x8 in series to get your 2ohm load but I don't know how happy the crossover would be with that or the additional power flowing through it. But again I am no master or really have much understanding of electrical components and design.

I would go with your other idea, set the amp for 3 channel mode with 2 channels to the front, and 2 channels bridged to the sub, then the rear fill powered off the HU.

This is gonna allow me to only use one amp where I thought I was going to need to use my current sub amp as well but not now. I need to see if there is anything out there to control the inputs for the low side so I can tune the bass from the dash.
Are you using a Stock HU or an aftermarket HU? Some will have Bass control built into the HU itself controlling the sub specific preouts. If not, and amp doesn't have the ability for a remote bass knob then maybe you could use a some sort of a line out converter or something to adjust the incoming low side signal before it reaches the amp.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running a eclipse 5030 HU and it has quite a bit of adjustment. I would need to get a low line level adjustment for the sub side of the amp. I looked at the D6's and they have a spot on their crossover for rear fill. I dont think I would use it because they say its full range and it doesn't affect the ohm load on the amp, so I wouldn't gain any thing imo.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Are those old school Round Solo Barics??? Those got a great rep just like the Hifonics amps your using to power them. Back before Kicker just built loud fart subs.

I am certainly no master but I have yet to come accross a component set that includes a crossover built to include rear fill like your saying. Usually the BASE crossovers will be simply for the speakers they are included with. Then next step will have 2 outputs for the tweeters for different Attenuation, or a jumper for the switch. Next stage and usually only in higher end components will have Indivudual inputs for both tweeter and mid while again only having 1 output for each tweeter/mid, this is for "Bi-amping" where you get more control through the amp to each mid and tweeter instead of just through the crossover.

You could possible wire the component mid and the 6x8 in series to get your 2ohm load but I don't know how happy the crossover would be with that or the additional power flowing through it. But again I am no master or really have much understanding of electrical components and design.

I would go with your other idea, set the amp for 3 channel mode with 2 channels to the front, and 2 channels bridged to the sub, then the rear fill powered off the HU.

Are you using a Stock HU or an aftermarket HU? Some will have Bass control built into the HU itself controlling the sub specific preouts. If not, and amp doesn't have the ability for a remote bass knob then maybe you could use a some sort of a line out converter or something to adjust the incoming low side signal before it reaches the amp.
I cant remember the name of them. They are 12's and will be going into a box in my superduty along with the amp. I bought the system out of a jeep in the 1990's that a stereo shop had won the sound competition event is las vegas. I think I paid like $1300 used for the amp from the shop. They were moaning about having to use the new hifonics amps as hifonics was sponsoring them. The new amps sucked. All my amp parts are named from greek gods. The etched plexiglass you see on the top of the enclosure was cut from the piece that made up the enclosure for the 10's in that jeep. Thus the powered by the gods wording on it. The new amps that year were named after birds I think. Eagle and so forth. Kind of cool listening to all the cussing they were doing about the new amps over the one I had bought from them.

The amp rack was powering 4 10's in the jeep cherokee best I remember but its been years ago. To this day Ive never heard a system that could touch that car for SQ. No doubt theres stuff that can, Ive just never personally experienced any that could. Zero distortion and every note where it should be. I had people that would call to arrange to get to sit in the car. Looks strange I guess with people lined up to sit in the thing and everyone inside sitting there with their eyes closed.

When I had it done I had them tune the system with the def lepard vault cd that had just come out. I wanted sq not bass. I had killer bass but not the rap style. Regular rock drums felt like they drove thru your body. I cant think of any better way to put it. I doubt I will be able to achieve the same setup in my truck since accoustically it sucks in comparison to the shape of the trans am's interior but I should be somewhere close :D

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
I'm running a eclipse 5030 HU and it has quite a bit of adjustment. I would need to get a low line level adjustment for the sub side of the amp. I looked at the D6's and they have a spot on their crossover for rear fill. I dont think I would use it because they say its full range and it doesn't affect the ohm load on the amp, so I wouldn't gain any thing imo.
Those D6 components you mention are Diamond audio right? I never took a close look at their components or amps just subs, I'll take another look though.

I cant remember the name of them. They are 12's and will be going into a box in my superduty along with the amp. I bought the system out of a jeep in the 1990's that a stereo shop had won the sound competition event is las vegas. I think I paid like $1300 used for the amp from the shop. They were moaning about having to use the new hifonics amps as hifonics was sponsoring them. The new amps sucked. All my amp parts are named from greek gods. The etched plexiglass you see on the top of the enclosure was cut from the piece that made up the enclosure for the 10's in that jeep. Thus the powered by the gods wording on it. The new amps that year were named after birds I think. Eagle and so forth. Kind of cool listening to all the cussing they were doing about the new amps over the one I had bought from them.

The amp rack was powering 4 10's in the jeep cherokee best I remember but its been years ago. To this day Ive never heard a system that could touch that car for SQ. No doubt theres stuff that can, Ive just never personally experienced any that could. Zero distortion and every note where it should be. I had people that would call to arrange to get to sit in the car. Looks strange I guess with people lined up to sit in the thing and everyone inside sitting there with their eyes closed.

When I had it done I had them tune the system with the def lepard vault cd that had just come out. I wanted sq not bass. I had killer bass but not the rap style. Regular rock drums felt like they drove thru your body. I cant think of any better way to put it. I doubt I will be able to achieve the same setup in my truck since accoustically it sucks in comparison to the shape of the trans am's interior but I should be somewhere close :D
That's pretty sweet, its amazing the difference proper staging and tuning can make. I was very skeptical before, but a buddy of mine who competed in IASCA who has a golden ear tuned my stereo FAR better than I ever could have and its sweet. I doubt its as good as your trans am was, and I know I am lacking in the impact department and its also only a single seat setup, but sit in the drivers seat and close your eyes and its like putting on a nice pair of headphones :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those D6 components you mention are Diamond audio right? I never took a close look at their components or amps just subs, I'll take another look though.

Yes Diamond Audio. Any other components I should look at for the power range that this amp has?

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Yes Diamond Audio. Any other components I should look at for the power range that this amp has?
Just looked them over, that rear fill output seems pretty interesting. The manual says it feeds them 15-20% of the total power. I don't think this would work good for if you just want rear speakers for your preference or for rear passengers, but its more for like ambiance sound and to trick your than Hey the rear speakers are playing.

I don't personally have all sorts of experience with lots of component or speaker sets, HOWEVER if you have the chance the best thing you can do is find an audio shop, or maybe even just a best buy and bring a CD of familiar music that you like and know how you like it to sound. Get it loaded up on the sound board at the shop and listen to see what you like. Its not the perfect environment but best place where you can do direct A/B comparisons and determine what you like.

For instance tweeters are commonly made of either metal or textile, each will have differing characteristics that some like and some don't. Some consider metal domes to be more accurate, while others consider them to be harsh or tinny sounding. Many prefer textile or silk dome tweeters for a more laid back mellow sound with less "coloration" of the music.

I haven't heard/seen much about Diamond audio, but at the same time have never really seen any bad reviews of their gear, always fairly good reviews, just not too many people know of them or use them.

Also greatly depends on your budget, but component sets that I would like to try would be those D6 components, Pioneer Premier components (720PRS set) Alpine Type R or Type X Ref set, not the Pro set (pro uses Ring radiator tweeters which are VERY tempermental with the install and aiming) Boston Acoustic Pro60's plus lots of other brands like Focal, Image Dynamics, JL Audio would be good to look at, but thats just whats popping into my head.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I don't have old Hifonics amps but I have 2 old Phoenix Gold 475 titanium amps that work great. Made in the USA. 1 ohm stable in stereo 2 ohm mono. I have run a system with just one of these. The old amps kicked butt.
Phoenix Gold................, that brings back memorys. We were the first in the area to be PG dealers back in the early 90's. I still have a couple of there Pro Series amps(.5 ohm stable) in the closet.

Seems like the largest HiFonics amp was called Zeus, Power from the Gods.LOL

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phoenix Gold................, that brings back memorys. We were the first in the area to be PG dealers back in the early 90's. I still have a couple of there Pro Series amps(.5 ohm stable) in the closet.

Seems like the largest HiFonics amp was called Zeus, Power from the Gods.LOL
I have a Phoenix Gold in my Rhino. :hehe:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a set of Diamond Audio D9's that I bought just before they discontinued them for redesign. They are by far the best set of components I have ever had. They were pretty pricey, but when I bought them I had the thought that they would be the last set of components I'd ever purchase. For the price, IMO they sounded the best compared to other high end components from other companies. Some think that the tweeters may be a little "bright", but can easily be tuned down on the crossovers. The tweeters are 10x better than the Focals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts