Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my brakes checked a couple days ago they started to pulsate when applied. I went to Les Schwab and they told me my front rotors were under spec and needed to be replaced. They said pads were about 50 percent and were ok I just needed new rotors. Is it ok to replaced rotors only? Thank you.

·
That thing got a Cummins?
1,229 Posts
Not in my opinion. Wear pattern on old pads will wear new rotors in the same wear pattern as on the pads. They are to cheap not to replace at the same time

·
Registered
700 Posts
^x3 for the price of new pads its worth putting them on just a couple extra $$ will go along way. just my .02

·
Registered
74 Posts
X4 and check to see if the rotors are discolored. The calipers and/or caliper slides could be hanging a tad.... that's the only time my rotors have warped from normal use.

·
Plays with Motors
611 Posts
We have reused pads on new rotors on some race cars where the rotor cracks and needs to be replaced every other race. This is due to the extra weight removal making the rotor really thin. You just need to dust them on a belt sander to remove the glaze from the top layer. I know plenty of people who have done this on street cars for one reason or another with no ill effects.

That being said, we as a company would never recommend replacing rotors without doing pads at the same time, I can count on one hand the number of times it has been done at the customers specific request. With the cost of decent pads these days it's just not worth the risk of them not bedding properly and you having to waste the time to do it over.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
We have reused pads on new rotors on some race cars where the rotor cracks and needs to be replaced every other race. This is due to the extra weight removal making the rotor really thin. You just need to dust them on a belt sander to remove the glaze from the top layer. I know plenty of people who have done this on street cars for one reason or another with no ill effects.

That being said, we as a company would never recommend replacing rotors without doing pads at the same time, I can count on one hand the number of times it has been done at the customers specific request. With the cost of decent pads these days it's just not worth the risk of them not bedding properly and you having to waste the time to do it over.
If you don't have a belt sander, you can rough them up on the concrete.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've replaced plenty of pads without replacing or turning the rotors but I wouldn't replace the rotors without replacing the pads. They can be had for very little money and the OEM quality brakes I think are quite good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts