Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this on CompD as well but wanted PSN input.

Just got out of the Marine Corps and looking for a job in the oilfield or in a similar field. Also interested in any advice on places to start looking or entry level jobs available. I am willing to relocate anywhere in the US/Canada.

Brief bit of background: Served just under 9 years, two OIF deployments, been an instructor for the past few years and my MOS was 0231 (Intelligence). The intel jobs aren't out there like they used to be and I am interested in changing career fields. I have worked on diesels of all makes and models for the past 5 years and have been welding since high school. Almost halfway done with my Bachelor's in Business Admin/Finance and looking for work. Thanks!

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Where would you suggest looking? Or do you know anyone hiring? Looking to start in whatever position they'll give me. My background in the Marines does nothing for me in the oilfields as it's not even remotely related. Thanks!

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
Texas, Wyoming, Dakotas. Parts of Montana, Altimont area of Utah. I'm with Kinder Morgan look em up they're based out of Texas and are in the pipeline industry GREAT company.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice I will look. Thanks for the heads up on Kinder Morgan. What kind of entry level jobs to look for?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Nice. Where would you suggest looking? Or do you know anyone hiring? Looking to start in whatever position they'll give me. My background in the Marines does nothing for me in the oilfields as it's not even remotely related. Thanks!
WRONG

Your a United States Marine, what they taught you one way or the other is related. They taught you skills MOST people will never posses including hard work, never quit attitude, how to deal with people, on and on and on, and I'd bet half the guys who don't make it in the oilfield don't make it because they lack skills you might take for granted.
Don't underestimate your worth due to your background.

Semper Fi and good luck in the future!

·
Registered
115 Posts
i built powerlines in west texas for a year, i wouldnt recommend working for any line contractors down there... if your strictly looking for oil field work thats one thing, but just a good career you might look into line work, specifically a union apprenticeship if youre willing to travel

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WRONG

Your a United States Marine, what they taught you one way or the other is related. They taught you skills MOST people will never posses including hard work, never quit attitude, how to deal with people, on and on and on, and I'd bet half the guys who don't make it in the oilfield don't make it because they lack skills you might take for granted.
Don't underestimate your worth due to your background.

Semper Fi and good luck in the future!
Thanks a ton man. That brings up some valid points I didn't consider. Hopefully I run into another old Marine that's willing to give me a shot.

i built powerlines in west texas for a year, i wouldnt recommend working for any line contractors down there... if your strictly looking for oil field work thats one thing, but just a good career you might look into line work, specifically a union apprenticeship if youre willing to travel
I'm definitely willing to give it a shot. Any idea how those apprenticeships work?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figured I would update this. Got a conditional offer from Patterson-UTI and did their drug test. Anyone work for them?

·
KCCO
4 Posts
Worked for them for awhile. All was good until the pushers son got promoted to driller after 6 months, almost killed us on numerous occasions. Probably a bad luck situation though, they do quite a bit of work down here in SoTex. If you're looking for rig jobs: Patterson, H&P, Trinidad, Nabors, Precision, Orion and Nomac are all over south Texas. Those are the big guys.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. Did the interview and got the conditional offer a month ago. Drug tested a little over 2 weeks ago. Any idea how their new to industry program works or how long until they call after the drug test?

Those other companies hire military guys with no experience?

·
KCCO
4 Posts
I honestly can't say man, things change quickly. I broke out with a small drilling company in '08. Got laid off, and drove onto a location on the way home just for grins (Patterson rig). They put me to work on the spot. That was 4 years ago, and while PPE was "required", it was pretty much optional. That was on west Texas. I moved down south in May of '12 as a supply hand, and now there's so much safety req.'s that it'd be quicker to throw the crap over the fence than it is to go on location. From what I've seen military guys have a better chance out of the non-experienced group, but keep in mind that every swinging rooster in Texas is lined up for a rig job.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's good info. I think I'm a little better off since I signed a letter of employment and they paid for my drug test just wish they would call already

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still haven't heard back from Patterson but heard they are slow in the HR department. Is there an appropriate amount of time to wait before asking for an update? I did the interview and got the conditional offer about 5 weeks ago and took the drug test almost 3 weeks ago.

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
I know Kinder morgan hires prior military with no experiance, my job in the Army didn't have anything to do with being a mechanic, but they picked me up anyways. probably because eventhough I didn't have direct work experiance I, like you had everything else they were looking for. Like the ability to adapt, work under pressure and stay calm, honesty, integrity, the list can go on. Don't sell your self short because you don't have this or that experiance, I'm telling you ya got everything else they are looking for. You can show a man a job but you can't teach him work ethic. Anyways, Kinder Morgan doesn't have many rig jobs but they have alot of other stuff in the oil industry. If you find something on there web page and have questions PM me and I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man I think I applied to a few of their jobs a while ago. I think the issue with online is I don't think your application makes it thru their screeners like with Patterson I had applied before just never received anything but saw them in person at a job fair and got an offer on the spot

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The issue i have is also I did everything required and haven't heard back in 3 weeks. But don't want to be a pain in the ass by calling

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I never really hurts to call and touch base with them, just be polite and ask if they know anything. The problems usually start when you call them every couple of days and start to pester them.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh okay. I hadn't called at all. I may give a few places I applied to a call and see if they even got my resume

1 - 20 of 22 Posts