Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Rotella. 1500 mile intervals here, do 3-4k mile intervals on stepfathers truck.

·
brandon
778 Posts
There are several types you can use, just what you prefer. I have used the motorcraft 15w40, Valvoline 15w40 premium blue, Valvoline 5w40 extreme blue synthetic. A lot of people seem to like the 9000 and 7000 Shaeffer's oil. Try something until you find something you like. Do a UOA and see if your truck likes it. Make sure the oil is Cj-4 compliant

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Amsoil. I have tried many kinds in our trucks,but for us Amsoil seems to do the best.Just my $.02

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
You can use any oil you want. Just make sure it is API rated for diesel engines. Some trucks like some oils better than others.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Rotella T here. Everyone has their own opinion and depends on the intervals you prefer. My truck only sees about 2K per year, sits a lot. I use the Rotella T and change every 3K or 6 months whichever comes first. Truck runs great and doesn't use any. Some people that drive them regularly use the synthetics and run longer intervals. I'm not sure they outperform the organic oils or not. I have used Rotella T since the 70's in semi applications and have had Cats run 700-800K miles without an oil related failure. I sold one of the Cats with almost 800K on it and only replaced the turbo 1 time and it was jacked up pretty hot. So I think it's whatever makes you warm & fuzzy and suites your needs and usage. These oil arguements go on all the time but I think it's a personal decission. Good luck.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Rotella T here. Everyone has their own opinion and depends on the intervals you prefer. My truck only sees about 2K per year, sits a lot. I use the Rotella T and change every 3K or 6 months whichever comes first. Truck runs great and doesn't use any. Some people that drive them regularly use the synthetics and run longer intervals. I'm not sure they outperform the organic oils or not. I have used Rotella T since the 70's in semi applications and have had Cats run 700-800K miles without an oil related failure. I sold one of the Cats with almost 800K on it and only replaced the turbo 1 time and it was jacked up pretty hot. So I think it's whatever makes you warm & fuzzy and suites your needs and usage. These oil arguements go on all the time but I think it's a personal decission. Good luck.
I see that many miles a month.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have a company vehicle to commute with so home depot and camping is about all mine sees. Once in a while I'll take a load of hay up north for the kids cause it's cheaper here.

You need to quit running the streets and work more. LOL!!

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
My job is running the roads. We have stores all over TX. And TX is a big state.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My job is running the roads. We have stores all over TX. And TX is a big state.
910 miles across I-10 if I recall. I used to live in the DFW area.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Chevron Delo 15W-40. Very good additive package and my truck seems to like it better than Motorcraft cause the idle smoothed out. Very pleased with the UOA results.
Best,
Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts