Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just put new oil cooler, thermostat, water pump on. When going down highway. I get 188-190 coolant temp. But my oil temp goes all the way up to 210-225. It cools off when i let truck idle. What could cause the oil to be so hot?

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
The oil cooler is not doing it's job, probably plugged again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its like a 10 day old oil cooler.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Did you do a chemical flush? I would have done one before putting in a new cooler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,368 Posts
You can swap the sensors and see if the readings stay the same - no cost troubleshooting. Verifying that they both read the same after a 24 hour cold soak is worth doing also.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I flushed the system. Its a ford cooler. So if my cooler was clogged on the coolant side why would it make my coolant run normal and my oil hot. I thought it would make the coolant hot and the oil hot.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,368 Posts
If you have very little flow of coolant through the oil cooler then it cannot remove the heat from the oil.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can it be anything else other than oil cooler?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,368 Posts
Assuming the sensors are reading accurately, I think it is almost certainly an oil cooler plugging issue. I suppose there could be something wrong in the engine that adds excessive heat when running at higher engine loads (and overwhelms the capacity of the oil cooler to remove the heat), but IMO that is pretty unlikely.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well this would be my 3rd oil cooler running a coolant filter flushing the lines and running elc coolant. Wgat gives. Ive changed the coolant filter out with a new one everytime i put new oil cooler. The intakes been of this pile of crap so many times im suprised i havent stripped any of the bolts. Ive been putting fords updated cooler on everytime too. This time im just getting the cheap one off ebay...cause its getting old and expensive...plus it comes with lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How can i check the sensors

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Well this would be my 3rd oil cooler running a coolant filter flushing the lines and running elc coolant. Wgat gives. Ive changed the coolant filter out with a new one everytime i put new oil cooler. The intakes been of this pile of crap so many times im suprised i havent stripped any of the bolts. Ive been putting fords updated cooler on everytime too. This time im just getting the cheap one off ebay...cause its getting old and expensive...plus it comes with lifetime warranty.
How exactly are you doing your flushes? If your not taking your block plugs out your leaving a fair amount of heavier crap still sitting in there. Just draining by pulling the bottom rad hose off and waiting till it runs clear isn't getting rid of the heavier grit that is the perfect size to plug an oil cooler shortly after installing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Temps do settle to the same temp acording to auto enginuity. So ill pull the engine block plugs out and see whats in there. But honestly i think its clean. I cut the old cooler in half to see if it looked clogged and it looks fine to me. After driving my the truck on highway for an hour it will built up pressure in cooling system. Enough to make top rad hose hard as a rock. Could this have domething to do with it?

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
How new is your degass bottle cap and are there signs of it venting coolant? Don't suppose you've ever checked to see how much pressure your cooling system gets up to? Have you felt what the inside surface of your top rad hose (gets the hottest) is like?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,368 Posts
When the very first oil cooler failed, was it just plugged or did it sludge up the coolant also? And, if it sludged the coolant, did you replace all of the hoses?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brand new degass cap and tank. I had to tighten up the valves on the coolant filter cause they were leaking.i dont have a gauge to see the pressure of the cooling system. But if it gets past 16 wont it come out the cap. If i floor it, it will build more pressure. I dont know if its cause the cooler is clogged or headgaskets. If its the gaskets this would be the third time. The last time was with arp headstuds and oem gaskets and new ford heads, block was checked heads were checked and the studs were torqued to arp's spec to the newer lube. I think 210 or 230...i cant remember. Is there a way to check if its the head gaskets or if its the oil cooler?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When the very first oil cooler failed, was it just plugged or did it sludge up the coolant also? And, if it sludged the coolant, did you replace all of the hoses?
Just preventitive matinence. Because i was elbow deep doing headgaskets egr delete and all the other good things. So the second one was replaced due to this same issue im having now...oil being too hot and coolant staying normal.never checked the first one....just threw it away. But the one after that wasnt dirty. I never mixed oil and coolant when headgaskets blew. Its always just pressurized the cooling system. Never replaced the coolant lines because they all looked and felt great. I made sure the smaller ones were clean before putting them back on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts