Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read about oil stuff this week and my mind it fun of new info that is definitely changing how I see more oils. But that aside, I know that the passed owner of my truck ran 15w-40 and I changed to 5w-40 synthetic. I still have blue smoke out of my exhaust.

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/fo...ical-info/518634-nobody-likes-blue-smoke.html

I read that it may be possible that with turbo wear the 15w-40 being thicker it did not pass by the turbo wear. Now having lighter 5w-40 the oil can pass by the turbo wear and smoke.

Does this make sense? Could it happen?

My truck runs fine and doesn't seem to be skipping. I am finishing my truck bed this weekend. Then installing it and bring the truck into the garage to do engine testing. Hoping to find that reason for blue smoke.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Makes sense until the oil is warm

does it have smoke all the time?
Are you losing oil? how quickly?

any play in the turbo? A tiny amount side to side is okay/normal but not enough to touch the housing
Any play in and out is BAD

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check turbo play today if the rain stops. As the truck warms up the smoke stays the same, once warm as the throttle is push the smoke increase.

It also smells like diesel and it seems like diesel on the underside of the exhaust housing of the turbo right near the butterfly valve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts