Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey fellas. just found the forum about a week ago. i drive a 96 350. was feeling sorry for myself having to drive a 14 year old pick-up until i came here. feel like i got a commodity now.

my question to you veteran owners is when i start my truck it takes about 2-3 seconds before the oil pressure moves to center (normal). when it goes it snaps over there. is this just because the system takes a second to pressure up, or is it something to fret over? it has been doing it this way for the 5 years i owned it.
thanks ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
that gauge is just a simple pressure switch from what I have read, once it reaches a set pressure that is told by the pcm then it will read that its normal....

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
that gauge is just a simple pressure switch from what I have read, once it reaches a set pressure that is told by the pcm then it will read that its normal....
Nope. PCM has nothing to do with it.
It's a pressure switch that closes when the pressure reaches a certain point. At that point the circuit for the 'gauge' is completed, and the 'gauge' indicates good oil pressure.

It's 100% normal for it to take a second or two (maybe three) to come to the 'normal' position.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Nope. PCM has nothing to do with it.
It's a pressure switch that closes when the pressure reaches a certain point. At that point the circuit for the 'gauge' is completed, and the 'gauge' indicates good oil pressure.

It's 100% normal for it to take a second or two (maybe three) to come to the 'normal' position.
alright thanks for correcting me I wasnt too sure about it. more info I learn the better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help gentleman. i wanted to be sure i didn't have an oil pump issue, and this thing was idling with no oil for a few seconds.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
my gauge takes bout 3 sec to move and i dont like it.gotta hook up a real one.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
The injectors run on oil. If you have no oil pressure, the HPOP has nothing to pump (LPOP has to pump the oil UP to the HPOP), and the injectors will NOT run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts