Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OBS Roller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody made a metal oil pan or heard rumors of one coming out? Just a thought, but as soon as I get mine(year or so) I will be putting on a skid plate and metal pan if i can.

·
The new dude
195 Posts
I can tell you I have only seen 1 busted pan in the time they have been out. It was on an oil field service truck that we still never got the answer out of how they busted it. The plastic pan is tough as hell. Just look at it and you can see that with all the ribs and braces. I think the plastic pan is a hell of a lot stronger than the old metal ones on the 6.0 and 6.4. I have done a ton of those when they were dented in the bottom, and it doesn't take much to dent one. That is a worse situation to be in if it smashes into the pickup tube.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The crew at Mag Hytec has a pan made for the 6R140 tranny and are waiting on a fixture to pressure test them prior to shipping. When I talked to them about the tranny pans, they "suggested" something else would be coming for these trucks. When I suggested a better engine oil pan, all I got was laughs. Should be coming!
If Ford's defense, the plastic pan is a much better idea up here in the salt belt. Can't tell you how many trucks we have to put steel oil pans on due to rusting and leaking.

·
OBS Roller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can tell you I have only seen 1 busted pan in the time they have been out. It was on an oil field service truck that we still never got the answer out of how they busted it. The plastic pan is tough as hell. Just look at it and you can see that with all the ribs and braces. I think the plastic pan is a hell of a lot stronger than the old metal ones on the 6.0 and 6.4. I have done a ton of those when they were dented in the bottom, and it doesn't take much to dent one. That is a worse situation to be in if it smashes into the pickup tube.
Personally I would rather have a dent in my pan and replace it, than have a hole and run the engine dry. :swordfight: haha

·
OBS Roller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crew at Mag Hytec has a pan made for the 6R140 tranny and are waiting on a fixture to pressure test them prior to shipping. When I talked to them about the tranny pans, they "suggested" something else would be coming for these trucks. When I suggested a better engine oil pan, all I got was laughs. Should be coming!
If Ford's defense, the plastic pan is a much better idea up here in the salt belt. Can't tell you how many trucks we have to put steel oil pans on due to rusting and leaking.
Sounds great! Will hopefully be on the list of mods to the new truck when I get it.:rockon:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have people been having problems with the oil plug or the oil pan? I would think that if it's hard enough to break the plastic oil pan it would probably put a hole in the metal one. I just picked up my first Ford yesterday and have yet to change the oil but from what I saw on youtube it looked like a slick deal.

·
The new dude
195 Posts
Have people been having problems with the oil plug or the oil pan? I would think that if it's hard enough to break the plastic oil pan it would probably put a hole in the metal one. I just picked up my first Ford yesterday and have yet to change the oil but from what I saw on youtube it looked like a slick deal.
Exactly. If you hit it hard enough to break it you would have smashed the hell out of a metal one. Of course the 15 minutes it takes to swap the lower plastic pan is way harder and more expensive than the metal ones of the 6.0 and 6.4s.LOL

I think a few people have seen leaks out of the plug but that is a simple o ring fix. The metal pans had copper washers that leaked over time also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts