Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use Ultra Black RTV to seal the pan? I realize the IH stuff is best, but will the Black RTV suffice

·
Administrator
32,962 Posts
I can't see why not?

Permatex® Ultra Black® Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

OEM specified. For dealership warranty requirements, ensures extended drivetrain warranty compliance. Fast-curing formula. Sensor safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Meets performance specs of OE silicone gaskets. Retains high flexibility, oil resistance properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.

Suggested Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, transmission pans

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Meh... Suffice yes, save few dollars yes, pulling the motor a year from now to reseal a product designed for the aplication....99.9% wont happen. But if it did they wont pay ya for labor or down time. So if you can get a better product easy i would recomend it.
Personally i am a broke hard head so id use the black.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
What is the price difference. Compare that with the cost and hassle of pulling the motor again and leaving it upside down for 24 hrs and it might not be that bad to buy the recommended stuff

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the engine is not going to be upside down at all. It will be hanging from my cherry picker. I'm gonna take the ride to FORD and spend the $17 on the "correct" RTV. I sure as hell dont want to pull the engine again

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Well the engine is not going to be upside down at all. It will be hanging from my cherry picker. I'm gonna take the ride to FORD and spend the $17 on the "correct" RTV. I sure as hell dont want to pull the engine again
I believe the manual calls for it to be upside down and set for 24 hrs before reinstalling it.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Yipes havent heard that one...
I would be all kinds of sol.

Hell i am lucky if i read the directions to let it get tacky or not.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
I would NOT use anything other than the internation stuff.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yipes havent heard that one...
I would be all kinds of sol.

Hell i am lucky if i read the directions to let it get tacky or not.
From what I understand, it is upside down because they will have to chisel some of the sealant off and after that, they want to make sure that absolutely NO oil comes down and contacts the sealant. I mean, it is already out there why not turn it around and do it right? I tend to be the lazy sort so I want to do it once and not have to do it again.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is the Ford stuff I am getting.

I put 1/2 the engine on my engine stand and bent the piss out of it. I have a chain wrapped around the crank pulley supported with the cherry picker holding the other half. My 1200lb engine stand is now junk. I hope it is worth it.

So far I got about 400 into changing the pan my self

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Hanging it upside down isnt required... I've done several, just let them over night just put a good bit on there. Don't be shy with it.
How did you overcome the possibility of oil messing up the sealing material? :confused:

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did you overcome the possibility of oil messing up the sealing material? :confused:
I am sure once you clean the block and apply the RTV, what little oil that may get on the EXCESS RTV will not effect the seal between the block and pan

·
Administrator
32,962 Posts
That is the Ford stuff I am getting.

I put 1/2 the engine on my engine stand and bent the piss out of it. I have a chain wrapped around the crank pulley supported with the cherry picker holding the other half. My 1200lb engine stand is now junk. I hope it is worth it.

So far I got about 400 into changing the pan my self
sorry I missed your post that you were getting the right stuff

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
So note to self, you need a big azz engine stand that rotates...
Harbor freight have a heavy duty version?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ended up getting the IH stuff from FORD.

And yes MIKE, you need a HEALTHY stand. My HB freight 1200lb POS is now JUNK and would not trust a small block to be on it.

I have an older No name stand that I have a spare 7.3 on but it is just a short block w no heads so it is not such a big deal

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ended up getting the IH stuff from FORD.

And yes MIKE, you need a HEALTHY stand. My HB freight 1200lb POS is now JUNK and would not trust a small block to be on it.

I have an older No name stand that I have a spare 7.3 on but it is just a short block w no heads so it is not such a big deal
I ordered the IH stuff and when it came it was Ford Motorcraft,it seems to be the same stuff.

This is a pic of the stand I use,seems to hold pretty well!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts