Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 334k mi on my 97 OBS 7.3. The engine has never been rebuilt. I does not smoke or leak....yet. I was wondering if I could switch to synthetic oil with this many miles or should I stay with standard oil? What weights for it too? Here in Iowa it gets frigid in the winter and hotter than crap in the summer so maybe switching weights for seasons???

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
You can synthetics if you want, but it might start leaking, personally I would throw a good 15w40 dino in it and plug it up at night, if it doesnt want to start I would look at glowplugs. Mine start in -10 in northern NV without being plugged up on 15w40 Valvo

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have used 10-30 SD in the winter but as soon as it gets above 36°f it likes to make the oil vanish.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have about 360000 on mine and has had dino oil the entire time!!! It must be ok...Just saying!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
On the 10-30 SD oil I could start the truck at -15°f with out plugging it in. The is on injectors with 300,000 miles. Today I just switched the rotella 15w-40 for the summer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 01 had 307000 miles when I switched to synthetic t6 5-40 and it loves it, starts much better and the engine is not as noisy. Its only been a few thousand miles but so far no new leaks and it hasnt used a drop of oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts