Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have a 03 6.0 powerstroke. We got into the motor to change the fuel injectors and glo plugs. We got the truck from and idiot so who knows what could be wrong. But the motor ran before we started taking it apart it was just misfiring, lots of black smoke and a blue haze at idle sometimes. So obviously we knew it needed glo plugs and injectors. But upon pulling the glo plugs, we found that 2 of them on the right side (first two we pulled) had a decent amount of oil on them. I was reading on a forum that 6.0s have a little bit of oil in the heads all the time and its not really unusual. But I'm suspect that we could have a bad motor, head gasket, maybe a ring or piston? Does anybody have any suggestions on what my issue may be ?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
oil on glow plugs is not an issue

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
nm .

Reactions: Weatherlite

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
nm .

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Remove the old copper washer
And make sure there isn't a copper washer stuck down in the injector cup as well! I've seen this once, but it would have been a bad day had it not been caught.

When setting the oil rail in place, make sure the rail nipples are straight and installed straight down with liberal amounts of oil poured on top of the injectors, and without excessive force (work it down evenly with a hand ratchet, not a power tool).
With the 03 the oil rail will be attached to a hose. There's no need to disconnect it, but it makes life SOOOO much easier if you do. You'll need a specialty tool for this. Here is a LINK to one for sale on Amazon. You can get them cheaper and with varying quality...this is just the first link I found. Anyway, you press the tool onto the hose at the connect point, push hose toward the oil rail and then pull back. Comes right off. Installation is just press hose onto oil rail and remove tool, then pull on hose to ensure a good connection. Another thing to consider while you're at this point is inspect the nipple cups for wear/damage from worn seals. Even if they are pristine, you may want to at least consider replacing the nipple cup o-rings. The ones on it might be recently replaced or they might be originals. If it were my personal truck I would want to know for sure what is in there.

Bismic definitely won't steer you wrong. I had never worked on a diesel in my life until I bought my '04. There's a learning curve, but keep reading things here and it will all make sense fairly quickly. Also, there are some differences on your '03 model engine. Learn about them before ordering parts. It may be the same engine, but there are various changes throughout the years which makes them very different in some ways.

My best advice is to read, read, and read some more so you know what you're doing. Also, don't just throw parts at the truck. Run diagnostics, use logic trees, and talk to experienced owners on here before making a decision (until you get the experience and know your truck of course). People have thrown hundreds, and even thousands, at a problem and not solved it, because they assumed rather than verified.

Good luck, and let us know if you run into any issues.

Reactions: bismic1

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,216 Posts
Nice post Weatherlite and thanks for the compliment.

Hopefully the OP comes back, we put some effort into getting "most" of the details down for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts