Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had an oil leak in my truck for a long while, its been small, a drip here and there. but its gettin worse from a drip to a few DROPS. looks like the rear main looks like its coming between the motor and trans but its also higher up.
any ideas of what it could be?

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
In Diesel Power magazine pg 72 it states" Troubleshooting the complexities that come with a hydraulically actuated fuel injection(HEUI) system can stump most of us. While rear main seal leaks have been found on some 6.0L's, the guys at Diesel Tech told us that most owners who discover oil under their '03 Super Dutys often assume the worst, when in reality it's a failed injection control pressure sensor (ICP), which is located under the turbo at the rear of the engine valley."

Hope that helps you out.

I

·
0 Posts
i've had an oil leak in my truck for a long while, its been small, a drip here and there. but its gettin worse from a drip to a few DROPS. looks like the rear main looks like its coming between the motor and trans but its also higher up.
any ideas of what it could be?
Take a close look at the backing plate. If it's leaking, it will look like the rear main seal is leaking.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
A trick I used to try and track down a leak is to take a digital camera (smaller the better) and stuff it up over the bell housing and take some pics to see what you normally can't from above or below since these motors are soo cramped.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same problem a little over a year ago. Ended up being a bed plate leak. I know it means a trip to the stealership but they can add dye and use a blacklight to locate the leak.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
mine turned out to be the ICP... start there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the nimo guys. ill be looking in to it on saturday

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem a little over a year ago. Ended up being a bed plate leak. I know it means a trip to the stealership but they can add dye and use a blacklight to locate the leak.
I had an 03 for about 90 days until the dealer had it more than I did and I made them take it back. At that time we thought it was a rear main leaking (three of them) but now that we know more about those engines I have a feeling it was bed plate leaking on mine as well. But having mentioned that it seems to be coming from higher up I would take a close look at the ICP. When they died my oil the whole under hood light up like 70's disco show. I certainly don't miss that truck it had a multitude of other problems that they could never seem to fix in the short amount of time I had it, it was definitely a Monday hang over truck. In my honest opinion I hope they had it crushed and put it out of its misery that thing was pathetic.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
get the IPR and pigtail from international... alot cheaper. it doesnt seem like that would be the cause of the leak.... mine looked like the rear seal was bad.... it was really wet with oil. i would change the IPR and pigtail and give it a couple of days to dry up. my pigtail had oil about 6 inches up inside it, luckily the new one comes with a good bit of wire on it. also make sure to wire it the exact way as the old one. i did not and had all kinds of problems until i rewired it and all is well now. i think the IPR is around 80 bucks and the pigtail was 6 or 7 dollars, you will also need a 1 and 1/16 deep well socket to change it. i went thru the top by removing the degause bottle, air intake box, and the FICM needs to come loose. some say you can do it from below, but i have big hands. do a search one here and you will find a ton of posts on it. good luck

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
get the IPR and pigtail from international... alot cheaper. it doesnt seem like that would be the cause of the leak.... mine looked like the rear seal was bad.... it was really wet with oil. i would change the IPR and pigtail and give it a couple of days to dry up. my pigtail had oil about 6 inches up inside it, luckily the new one comes with a good bit of wire on it. also make sure to wire it the exact way as the old one. i did not and had all kinds of problems until i rewired it and all is well now. i think the IPR is around 80 bucks and the pigtail was 6 or 7 dollars, you will also need a 1 and 1/16 deep well socket to change it. i went thru the top by removing the degause bottle, air intake box, and the FICM needs to come loose. some say you can do it from below, but i have big hands. do a search one here and you will find a ton of posts on it. good luck
Do you mean the ICP or are you really meaning the IPR?

·
m-chan68
116 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
ICP..... my bad...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, I have an oil leak myself. Running down from somewhere... not sure yet. The highest point visible from underneath is the starter bolts. So, must be running down from somewhere on to there. Anything common up above that that's prone to leaking?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts