Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through almost every thread i could about oil leaks and haven't come up with anything. The oil is coming out of the inspection plate on the tranny and a weep hole above the starter. The valley is dry. This isn't a bad leak at all a few drips overnight, it really isn't a big deal, but driving me crazy. My question is: is it possible that the oil galley plug is leaking even though it doesn't feel oily? Or is it possible that the fuel line going into the back of the head is leaking and looks like oil? Any other ideas?

·
Drive it like ya stole it
186 Posts
Well it could either be the rear main seal, or possibly one of those big plugs in the oil rail in the head. Those are the only two i can think of that would give oil in the area described w/o oil in the valley.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am almost positive that it is not the rear main seal. The majority of the oil looks like it comes down through a hole along side of the starter where it can go right into the inspection cover. The back of the motor is dry when i take the inspection cover off. So that leads me to believe that it is coming from up top somewhere, but i wanted to know if the oil galley plug were leaking would you be able to feel oil around it?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Make sure you check valve cover bolts the rear passenger side closest to the fire wall can be a bugger to get snugged down. Also check the rear passenger large plug in the HP oil rail facing the firewall. I bet it's the later as they are common leakers...so fire up the truck take a flashlight crawl under there with it running and have a look for the weep.

If it's leaking you will need to replace the O-ring from ford iirc the plug is like 2" in diameter and takes a 3/8' drive extension to get it loose. Might have to pull the down pipe too to give you room...

jrc

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it were the oil galley plug wouldn't it feel oily around it? On my dad's truck the one on the back passenger side went bad and it just poured out of it, the o-ring had a chunk missing though. We had that one fixed by a shop and it wasn't that cheap. I am by no means a mechanic or trying to be one, but I am just trying to learn as i go.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
If it were the oil galley plug wouldn't it feel oily around it? On my dad's truck the one on the back passenger side went bad and it just poured out of it, the o-ring had a chunk missing though. We had that one fixed by a shop and it wasn't that cheap. I am by no means a mechanic or trying to be one, but I am just trying to learn as i go.
It might feel oily but don't forget it's on the vertical plane and if not leaking that much and will only be when the engine is running (start of a larger leak). If you have an aftermarket two piece down pipe on it you can do it yourself with extensions and ratchet, pretty straight forward to do. If you have the stocker DP would be time to change that out as it's a POS pipe anyways..... as suggested fire it up get under there with a bright light to inspect...

jrc

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. That makes sense. I will look at it tomorrow night. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Also check your turbo area. Check the ebpv rod as those are known to leak , mines leaking now and doesnt show any oil in the valley

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just changed the pedistal this last week to a deleted one. I think that was part of the oil leak i had. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a write-up on doing the oil galley plugs anywhere? I did a search and didn't find one.

·
186 Posts
I doubt there would be a write up, but they are pretty noticeable. Follow the oil rail back, it's the round chamber on the top of each head that the HPOP lines go into. There is a large plug the size of the entire chamber on each end of the head. Takes a 3/8" drive square, these aren't little plugs, and they are holding back upwards of 3000psi so it might take a little muscle to get em off. However, if the seals on them are going bad you're about to have a major problem. I could get some pics tomorrow when the sun is out if that would help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same leak and i havent drove the truck all month till today and it just started to leak pretty bad tonight maybe because of the change in temperature.All i know is its going to be a pain in the rear to fix.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help, but i know where they are and what they look like. I just wanted to know if there were any tips or anything to get them out. We had them replaced on our work truck, so i have seen them. The ones that were replaced were a 1/2 inch drive i think. I think i have also decided to pull my motor and replace the oil pan. I don't think that is the problem, but i noticed that it is leaking a little up front. If i do that i will replace the plugs anyway since i have read they have an updated o-ring. I plan on pulling it because i still can't find the leak and since i found another leak. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am thinking about pulling the motor to learn more about the motor too. We will have a fourth 7.3 soon, so I want to learn. The place we normally have do our work does an exceptional job, but they are a little pricey, so any money we can save would be great.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a similar problem only i think it is coming from eather the pedistal or EBVP, bell housing has oil all over it. Im currious to see what the problem turns out to be for you..

·
186 Posts
Just pulled my motor and built it over the summer, definitely the best way to learn all you'll ever want to know lol. Come to think about it though, I think you're right, it is 1/2" drive. Be sure to replace the rear main when you have the motor out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I plan on replacing almost any type of seal that can leak oil, that way i should be good for quite a while. I have never pulled a motor before but have read that it is not that difficult so i hope i can do it, guess there is a first time for everything. Thanks again for you're guys' help, reading about different things on here and how to do it has boosted my confidence level on working on my truck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a similar problem only i think it is coming from eather the pedistal or EBVP, bell housing has oil all over it. Im currious to see what the problem turns out to be for you..
I am not going to be doing this until late winter/ early spring when work slows down, so it may be a while. I would try to help with your problem, but I am just learning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts