Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

All right the bottom line is I have an oil leak that is evident by the oil mist covering the underside of my truck and dripping when shut off (it's going through about 1.5 qts a month leaves about 4 drops everytime it's shut down). From frequent reading and some looking around I am betting it's either the pedistal O-rings or oil rail plugs (could be seal plate or oil pan gasket or even rear main seal [highly unlikely from reading] but the spraying has me focusing on these two) Also the valley is dry. The truck has 250,000 miles on it and spent a good deal of it's life up north (hence me having to weld in new cab corners this weekend but that's a whole other bucket of worms)

My questions are as follows:

1. in replacing up-pipes with the new bellowed ones, has anyone snapped off a bolt in the header? From what it looks like they just slide through the header and up pipe and are held in with the nut but corrosion and heat cycling does some funny things.

1.b. If one does snap a bolt, how hard is it to drill/punch out? Mainly looking at room here. I think I could get my right angle pneumatic in there chucked way down on the drill bit but would like to hear some first hand experience in doing this.

2. Has anyone replaced the oil plugs with the engine in the truck? Looking at it if I remove the turbo and up-pipes it shouldn't be too hard, but again, looking for some first hand experience.

3. Replacing the exhaust housing on the turbo, again, has anyone snapped a bolt off and if so how hard are they to drill out (with the turbo removed)? I am going to put in a ebpv-less exhaust housing and pedistal.

I am hoping that fixing this oil leak will buy me another year or two so I can build up a new engine and swap out when ready.

Thanks in advance, will let everyone know how it goes if and when it happens.

JP5

·
Strokin it in your face!
406 Posts
Howdy All,

All right the bottom line is I have an oil leak that is evident by the oil mist covering the underside of my truck and dripping when shut off (it's going through about 1.5 qts a month leaves about 4 drops everytime it's shut down). From frequent reading and some looking around I am betting it's either the pedistal O-rings or oil rail plugs (could be seal plate or oil pan gasket or even rear main seal [highly unlikely from reading] but the spraying has me focusing on these two) Also the valley is dry. The truck has 250,000 miles on it and spent a good deal of it's life up north (hence me having to weld in new cab corners this weekend but that's a whole other bucket of worms)

My questions are as follows:

1. in replacing up-pipes with the new bellowed ones, has anyone snapped off a bolt in the header? From what it looks like they just slide through the header and up pipe and are held in with the nut but corrosion and heat cycling does some funny things.

1.b. If one does snap a bolt, how hard is it to drill/punch out? Mainly looking at room here. I think I could get my right angle pneumatic in there chucked way down on the drill bit but would like to hear some first hand experience in doing this.

2. Has anyone replaced the oil plugs with the engine in the truck? Looking at it if I remove the turbo and up-pipes it shouldn't be too hard, but again, looking for some first hand experience.

3. Replacing the exhaust housing on the turbo, again, has anyone snapped a bolt off and if so how hard are they to drill out (with the turbo removed)? I am going to put in a ebpv-less exhaust housing and pedistal.

I am hoping that fixing this oil leak will buy me another year or two so I can build up a new engine and swap out when ready.

Thanks in advance, will let everyone know how it goes if and when it happens.

JP5
spray PB blaster on the up pipe bolts for a weeks straight twice a day and you shouldnt have a problem but if you do some heat should do the trick.

you can reach around to the back of the engine and with your hand and feel if the oil galley plugs are leaking.

is there oil running down your down pipe?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No oil running down the down pipe, just dripping out of the torque converter cover and of course the mist over everything else between the frame rails. I dunno, just by looking at the up pipe to header bolts make me think of leaving them and just putting the beans brass donuts in until i replace the engine.

Any other first hand experience?

JP5

·
Registered
6 Posts
No oil running down the down pipe, just dripping out of the torque converter cover and of course the mist over everything else between the frame rails. I dunno, just by looking at the up pipe to header bolts make me think of leaving them and just putting the beans brass donuts in until i replace the engine.

JP5
The donuts are an option, but you'll probably be back at them later. Bellowed will solve it. Look at the very back (cab side) of your valley - is it wet next to the drain hole?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Strokin it in your face!
406 Posts

JP5
lining back up the turbo to the up pipes usually requires both sides of the up pipe bolts loosend because its a joke to get them aligned with out some play in them, even if you are just going to loosen the top bolts i have a feeling they will move on you but i could be wrong.

hardest part about changing the up pipes gaskets is everything lol but aligning everything back together for me a was b%$&@.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts