Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have an oil leak behind the HPOP. It appears one of the oil lines off the HPOP is leaking. Is there a oring or some type of gasket on this fitting? Could it just be loose? Or is there something else in that area that is more common to be leaking?

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I pinpointed the leak to the forward most high pressure outlet fitting on the hpop. I did a little searching on alldata and came up with a service bulletin (article no. 03-17-1). It calls for replacing the orings on the outlet fittings and the plug in the back of the pump. The directions look a little intimidating to me as I have not removed the hpop before or performed more than minor service on the engine. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get my oring kit from Ford (P/N 2C3Z-9G804-AA or AB).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thanks. I pinpointed the leak to the forward most high pressure outlet fitting on the hpop. I did a little searching on alldata and came up with a service bulletin (article no. 03-17-1). It calls for replacing the orings on the outlet fittings and the plug in the back of the pump. The directions look a little intimidating to me as I have not removed the hpop before or performed more than minor service on the engine. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get my oring kit from Ford (P/N 2C3Z-9G804-AA or AB).
You don't need to remove the HPOP, nor do you need to remove the quick release fittings on the lines. The last time I did mine I just turned the fittings off while the quick disconnects were connected. Replace the o-rings according to the instructions and reinstall the fittings. I have never replaced my plug o-ring since it never has leaked.

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that is good news. I don't see a leak on the rear either just the forward most line. Here's a stupid question, is there any pressure at that fitting with the engine off? Like a check valve or something. I know it will leak oil just wondering it I need to bleed off pressure or something before I loosen the fitting.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Well that is good news. I don't see a leak on the rear either just the forward most line. Here's a stupid question, is there any pressure at that fitting with the engine off? Like a check valve or something. I know it will leak oil just wondering it I need to bleed off pressure or something before I loosen the fitting.
No pressure once the engine is off. All pump action is stopped and the IPR should be open, IIRC. The kit comes with loctite. Make sure you clean the fittings (still attached to the lines unless you use a quick release tool to disconnect). There is also a spring type back flow check valve in the fitting itself. Make sure it goes back in the same way. Clean the internal threads in the pump body and using loctite on the first three threads of the fitting, turn it back in. I forget the torque spec, but I know I used about 18 ft/lbs using my right "torque" hand. The o-ring sits in a land in the pump body and if seated on the fitting properly will seal really well using about 18 ft/lbs and loctite.

I would do both lines while in there. Like I said, I have never done the rear plug, but that does not mean it never leaks, just mine has never leaked.

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that is cheaper Andy. We have 2 Ford dealers in our auto group so I already got it from him this morning. Guess I'll give the repair a shot either tonight or tomorrow at lunch. Gonna do both fittings while I am there and I'll check the rear plug to be sure. I got a bit of oil in the valley and some leaves and dirt. Time to clean it out.

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Performed the repair on saturday. Had to make the special tool like on dieselorings website to remove the oil lines. Once they were off and out of the way it wasn't hard at all. A 3/4" deepwell socket, u-joint, and a 12" extension I was able to back them out easily. As I was cleaning the fittings up I noticed something partially blocking the opening. I removed it and it was some rubber. I did some more cleaning and noticed the internal oring was damaged a bit, the source of the rubber. I had to put it back together and hope for the best thinking it wasn't as bad as I thought. I hate being right. It still leaks, not as bad but it still leaks. I did what I should have done in the beginning and ordered Bob's kit that has the internal orings. You can't get the orings from Ford, they only come with the fittings. So I lived and learned, just get the better kit to begin with and be done.

·
Cute and cuddly boys!
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the kit in from Bob on Saturday. Now I just need some time when it isn't raining to fix it again. I must say the kit is impressive with all the orings and instructions. Thanks Bob.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Good to hear. Guzzle rocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts