Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Romans 1:16
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 2002 Ford F350 4X4 7.3L

I just noticed some oil under my truck and crawled under to check it out. It is actually dripping from the transmission wheel inspection cover. I looked around to see its location, but could not find the source. I looked along both sides of the oil pan valley and it was clear, but at the front (front of engine and oil pan) I noticed a substance that was really thick like grease. I know oils can get thick when mixed with dirt and such, but could that be the source of the leak? Do you have to pull the engine to replace that pan seal? What does that run? I live in Nashville and I know Swamp Diesel is in LaVergne. I just don't have the money to spend to have the engine pulled. Any help would be greatly appreciated!:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Hey guys, 2002 Ford F350 4X4 7.3L

I just noticed some oil under my truck and crawled under to check it out. It is actually dripping from the transmission wheel inspection cover. I looked around to see its location, but could not find the source. I looked along both sides of the oil pan valley and it was clear, but at the front (front of engine and oil pan) I noticed a substance that was really thick like grease. I know oils can get thick when mixed with dirt and such, but could that be the source of the leak? Do you have to pull the engine to replace that pan seal? What does that run? I live in Nashville and I know Swamp Diesel is in LaVergne. I just don't have the money to spend to have the engine pulled. Any help would be greatly appreciated!:confused::confused:
it's nevvvver the pan/seal @ pan.

check the engine valley (below fuel bowl/rear of HPOP, under/near turbo, etc) for signs of oil sitting..

any leak into the engine valley will drip off the transmission inspection cover.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
You don't have a gasket... Welcome to the new age of disposable, cheaper, more efficient ways of doing things... There's a tiny bead of sealant spread around the rim of the pan before it's put in place and that's all there is. And it NEVER leaks if it's from factory or done right aftermarket. Be glad, because you can't do it *properly* with the motor in the vehicle.

I can't wait to see all the contradictory claims to this statement :poke:

Is the leak coming down the rear passenger side of the block? On the top of the motor (the valley) there's a drain hole on the rearmost passenger corner that anything leaking up top will run to. Number one culprit is the EBPV in the turbo pedestal. Your 7.3 will live happier without this device. Two is the pedestal o-rings. Three is the HPOP. Hope it isn't this. Four is that it's not oil but fuel... Smell it. It might look like oil because of all the garbage it picks up on it's way from top to bottom. If it's fuel it could be a couple things.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys! I have found the culprit. It is in fact the HPOP. I order the new o-rings from dieselorings.com and got them this evening. I also went ahead and got a new gasket for the HPOP (said it was easier to just remove it when you perform the repair) and got a new "serviceable plug". I also went ahead and got new gaskets for the fuel bowl to get them replaced as well. I'm sure that they will need to be replaced before too long and I would rather be proactive since I will be in there anyways.

BTW, I was wrong in my original post about there not being oil in the valley. I did not realize how far it went down and assumed it was right there. A good light and an over-the-truck creeper and I was able to see the oil plain as day.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have some oil under my truck too. I bet it will be the HPOP, I need to look :/

I replaced the o-rings in mine last night. It was a major pain to get out. Crawled up in the engine compartment (no over the top creeper) and everything is so crammed into one spot. Went ahead and changed out all seals in fuel bowl assembly while I had it out. Total repair was $100. Truck is running perfect for now. True test will be today. Gonna take it on a little trip

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts