Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak at the fitting where the dipstick tube goes into the oil pan. There seems to be a very large plastic nut/collar type fitting that the dipstick tube goes into. It is not the tube itself but the plastic nut. I can move the plastic nut a little bit so I see there is oil leaking out of it.
What is the repair for this?
Do I need to drain oil before the repair?

I have read sometimes a nut or an O ring may fall off on the inside and then it is more trouble to repair as you have to try and fish it out of the pan.

What is a good repair technique to fixing it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Theres a u-tube video on it. I had a guy do mine that has had lots of experience in doing them for peace of mind. He did my hpop o-rings and the whole dipstick tube assembly new nut and all for 250bucks. They use a set of vice grip needle nose pliers and hold onto the fitting inside the pan then take the nut off and slide it over the pliers then take the o-ring out then new o-ring in and new nut lock tight the nut and away you go. Just dont drop it in the pan. My nut was loose too and I tightened it down with channel locks a few time before I had it fixed it slowed the leak but did not stop it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Duanesz is dead on the money. From what I have read......read up on this alot before you do it yourself. You DO NOT wanna drop that thing in the pan.

That being said....If you take your time and follow the directions, it seems like a no brainer.....

Knock on wood I don't have to do it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Its not that hard at all, only problem I ran into was i didnt have the right size o ring so i just put it back together and siliconed all around it, held up just fine until i removed my valve cover and the dipstick tube moved and now im back to square one LoL

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Best video I have ever seen him make.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts

·
All done now
22,486 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm from the metroplex (Richardson & Bedford), but now reside in Brady, the heart of Texas.......Literally.

·
02 CCSB
118 Posts
I've done quite a few of these repairs, I don't think I would use a pair of vise grips. Where the dipstick goes into the adapter there is an o-ring seal surface for the tube that could be gouged/egged when clamping the pliers. I use some stiff tie wire with the end bent in a j-shape, have never lost one. I also use some silicone to hold the new o-ring to the adapter inside the oil pan. But as he says it is made of a non-magnetic metal so if you loose it in the pan you will have a big job in front of you if you can't fish it back out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts