Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be concerned? I just changed my fuel filters after 15,000 miles and cut them open to have a look. The darkest is closest to the engine. Poured them both out in clear containers and didn’t see anything resembling oil, but one of the two filters definitely looks blackish in color compared to the other. Perhaps the dark one is the main filter for the big stuff so it’s datker?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven’t lost any oil to speak of but I’m getting a strong odor of burning oil from my exhaust. The engine is running perfect actually, but the burning oil smell is new. The day I switched to Motorcraft oil, the smell started.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was no oil residue in the filter housing but the paper pleats of the filter closest to the engine is much datker than the 1st filter. I’m not even sure how that’s possible. I would think the filter closest to the tank would be the darkest and most dirty, but it actually looks almost new.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been looking at pics online and it actually may be normal to look like that.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,277 Posts
Yea if there was oil in the fuel, the fuel would be black. Is the motorcraft stuff lighter weight? When I switched from 15w rotella to 5w motorcraft I got a bit more burning and fumes too.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
If the filter closet to the motor is of a finer micron rating, it will be filtering out the finer material (which would pass through the larger pored filter (if that is the case on your setup). Cheers!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes sense to me. Well I guess I can rule out injector O-Rings as a possible cause of the burning oil smell.

·
PSN intsigator
6,093 Posts
ya I don't think you have injector oring problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts