Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm curious on everyones opinion on what oil filter they run, and why.

I'm running a Motorcraft 1995 personally, but I'm interested in the Donaldson Blue Extreme Oil filter that RR sells.

It is 2.5x the cost, as my local O'Reilly's has the 1995 filter for $10, but if it filters better and filters longer between oil changes, I might go for it. Does anyone have any concrete info?

Also open to other oil filters as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’ve been running them a couple years now. I didn’t try to extend my oil changes or anything, just liked the better filtration. You get an extra quart or two of oil capacity as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
On the Powerstroke, I also run a 1995. It's stock, it's cheap, and my pickup doesn't work that hard that often.

That being said, on the big engines we run, I use Napa Gold, or Baldwin. Both work well. We also run Mystic oils. I've had very good luck with Mystic, I've taken apart engines with 500k on them, with zero sludge inside. If you have a Tractor Supply in your area they usually stock it.
And if you can get it, their gear oil is fantastic as well. Really cools a gearbox off. The chassis grease is the best I've ever seen.

This is just years of looking inside oil pans, no concrete test results. Sorry for the oil rant, but seen your question in the build thread.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
PSN intsigator
6,111 Posts
I use the mobil M1-601 unless I happen across the motorcraft 1995 at Wally World for 8 bucks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Motorcraft Fl1995 on my powerstroke and my idi .
I like the idea of the big “Cat” filter but to me it hangs down too far and just doesn’t look right lol .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
On the Powerstroke, I also run a 1995. It's stock, it's cheap, and my pickup doesn't work that hard that often.

That being said, on the big engines we run, I use Napa Gold, or Baldwin. Both work well. We also run Mystic oils. I've had very good luck with Mystic, I've taken apart engines with 500k on them, with zero sludge inside. If you have a Tractor Supply in your area they usually stock it.
And if you can get it, their gear oil is fantastic as well. Really cools a gearbox off. The chassis grease is the best I've ever seen.

This is just years of looking inside oil pans, no concrete test results. Sorry for the oil rant, but seen your question in the build thread.

MotorCraft FL 1995 Here. Wally World for $10 and are easily accessible for now.

I use the Mystic Grease. Would like to know more about the oil as I have a TS here in my area.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
MotorCraft FL 1995 Here. Wally World for $10 and are easily accessible for now.

I use the Mystic Grease. Would like to know more about the oil as I have a TS here in my area.
I don't do oil testing. I look at wear items when they come apart. I used rotella for a while, and compared to it, the Mystic stays clean longer, and my oil temp runs cooler, not much but 15* or so average. The gear oil cooled the rear drives in my KW about 30*. However, if there is a place to leak, Mystic will find it. It must climb well.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I purchased 2 cases of Wix filters that lasted a couple of years when I was driving my truck a lot. Now I just pick up the 1995 when and where it is on sale.

As for the oil not getting as dirty as fast, have you ever thought that it might not be cleaning as well as those that get dirtier quicker?

The only way to know what your oil is doing or how long it will last is to get it analyzed. It doesn't cost that much and it may head off a major problem down the road.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I purchased 2 cases of Wix filters that lasted a couple of years when I was driving my truck a lot. Now I just pick up the 1995 when and where it is on sale.

As for the oil not getting as dirty as fast, have you ever thought that it might not be cleaning as well as those that get dirtier quicker?

The only way to know what your oil is doing or how long it will last is to get it analyzed. It doesn't cost that much and it may head off a major problem down the road.
Yup. And dismissed the idea just as fast. As a cleaning oil, I find it very impressive. No sludge, VERY minimal black film on the internals. Almost as clean as when assembled. It's not getting dirty because stuff isn't wearing. It does get dirty eventually, and a dirty running engine will turn it black sooner. It's the only thing I've ever seen clean up the mess Pennzoil left in a gasser as a side note.

If a guy wants to have his oil analysed, that's fantastic. I don't mess with it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hey guys, I'm curious on everyones opinion on what oil filter they run, and why.

I'm running a Motorcraft 1995 personally, but I'm interested in the Donaldson Blue Extreme Oil filter that RR sells.

It is 2.5x the cost, as my local O'Reilly's has the 1995 filter for $10, but if it filters better and filters longer between oil changes, I might go for it. Does anyone have any concrete info?

Also open to other oil filters as well.
Sorry I didn't mean to side track your thread.

If you want to try the longer filter, I think it will cross into a more affordable line, such as Wix or Baldwin. Same filter without paying for the hyp. Just an opinion. I agree with @longjonsilver that it doesn't look right. Especially anywhere near a front driveshaft, but I know you've considered that. If I buy Wix, I do it at Napa, for some reason I've had better luck that way. Baldwin's do a great job, and seem to do a better job of capturing water/coolant, which hopefully is a feature you never need.

Again, just an opinion based on personal experience.

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oil filters? Who needs those? Just hollow one out and be done! Much higher flow that way too.
Lemme know how that goes in that 6.0 you're putting in the OBS, hahaha!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Did a little crossing, that number crossed to a Napa 1792 XD, and Baldwin B99-MPG. (2018 Cross reference catalogue) as far as Micron removal, I'll let you draw your own conclusions, didn't have time to figure the difference in ratings between the three. May not understand it well enough if I did have time. Donaldson is way more up front with their ratings it seems.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts