Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad changed the oil in his truck (05 6.0) and backed it out of the shop and parked it. Next morning-no start. Not building more than 200psi HPO, ipr full closed (84%). So I pulled the filter since i don't believe in coincidences, and the filter bypass valve was broken. the top part and the spring was there, but The bottom of it (2 small plastic ears) broke off and appears to have gone down into the HPO reserve tank, and I am sure is causing a blockage. I am guessing the screen under the oil cooler is torn, because it never had the cooler replaced, and the plastic made its way back toward the HPOP. My question is, is there a chance its stuck in the passage between the oil reservoir and the HPOP? Or could it actually be in the HPOP, keeping it from pumping? Its making about 200psi.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I honestly don’t think the hpop has much of a true reservoir, it only holds about a quart of oil before reaching the actual pump....

Now what exactly broke on the truck? The oil filter housing parts or the standpipes and dummy plugs?

I have seen torn orings on stand pipes and dummy plugs but not an actual broken one. But the screen to the Hpop should have caught broken plastic/metal pieces and that could be staving the pump of oil and explain the 200psi. But honestly you need to tear it down to the valley where the screen is to see what is truly going on. The oil cooler will have to come out and might as well put a new one in while your there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Also what check valve are you talking about broke? The main center spring the filter slides over or the drain down for removing the oil filter?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, changed the wording of the post. The bypass valve in the plastic oil filter standpipe broke. He said the filter wouldn't go down, and he hit it with a hammer (SMH!) I tore it apart and found that bypass valve broken.

The reservoir I am speaking of is the one that the oil cooler sits in, and i am assuming the screen is broke, since every stock one ive ever seen has been broke, and this one is stock as far as I know

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sorry guys, changed the wording of the post. The bypass valve in the plastic oil filter standpipe broke. He said the filter wouldn't go down, and he hit it with a hammer (SMH!) I tore it apart and found that bypass valve broken.

The reservoir I am speaking of is the one that the oil cooler sits in, and i am assuming the screen is broke, since every stock one ive ever seen has been broke, and this one is stock as far as I know

oh my lord.... so I have torn into quite a few and haven’t seen a screen broken yet knock on wood, but you will need to find a repair kit for that stand pipe in the oil filter and go exploring, without seeing it I cannot really say where the plastic went.... or what’s going on with the filter housing..... but with that center part busted I could see it not sending oil to where it should be going....

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,255 Posts
Using non-oem filters?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,255 Posts
Moral of this story - ONLY USE OEM OIL AND FUEL FILTERS!

I know a diesel tech here that has never seen a problem caused by a non-oem filter, but yet here is one!

Yes, it is user error, but using only OEM filters (and making sure the cap is OEM also), will be far better in the long run. Mixing and matching different makes of parts that require adapters, spacers, and unique caps is just an invitation to a mistake down the road.

Sorry you are dealing with this, hopefully you don;t have to do much surgery. At a minimum you will be pulling the oil cooler and you should also inspect the IPR for a torn screen.

Reactions: Scherf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the IPR, it looks fine. the plunger has about 1/8" of play when I push on it with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, did an air test straight from the IPR and I had air blowing straight back through the filter housing. I rotated the engine one revolution and the airflow stopped (although I could hear "bubbling" back by the HPOP). Rotated it another revolution, and the airflow started again back through the filter housing. I'm guessing I have something going on in the HPOP? Maybe a piece of plastic got into the wrong part and messed it up?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,255 Posts
Air blowing backwards to the oil filter housing during an air test of the HPO system means you have a bad HPOP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts