Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the oil filter by-pass kit necessary for a mild performance truck? I am trying to gather things 1 by 1 that I will need to bullet proof my truck before I do any performance mods... Doing studs, delete, coolant filter, banjo bolts, then sct livewire, intake elbow and water/meth. Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Trying to keep it as mild as I can while trying to touch in the 13's but be a safe daily driver.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
No it's not necessary but it takes most of the real fine grit out of the oil which cuts down on wear. IMO it should be high on your list of things to install. Trying for thirteens frequently? You may want to think about beefing up your auto trans.

·
Registered
652 Posts
A stock Ford filter cleans the oil to 20 microns and a by-pass cleans to 2 mircon but you still have to change the oil around 5000mi because of the shear of the oil by the injectors plus these motors like a 5w40 Syn oil and use only Ford or Racor filters.
2 stroker

·
Registered
287 Posts
x2^ they arent too expensive for what they do. and 2 micron compared to 20 is quite a difference. and run 5w-40, like he said with only OEM filters. i heard someone say when they change their synthetic with their bypass, the oil is still a glazed honey color, and i love clean oil:bowfast:

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
x2^ they arent too expensive for what they do. and 2 micron compared to 20 is quite a difference. and run 5w-40, like he said with only OEM filters. i heard someone say when they change their synthetic with their bypass, the oil is still a glazed honey color, and i love clean oil:bowfast:
This is BS. Ever notice how the FS2500 people stopped making this claim in their ads?? There is NO oil filter bypass kit that will make the oil stay "honey colored" for the oil change interval of 7500 miles.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I have a Racor bypass oil filter and at 5000 miles my oil looks like the oil I am putting in. Also Racor claims 1 micron filtering if I remember right.

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Is the Racor setup the same as Oil Guard??

·
Registered
689 Posts
No it is not neccessary. But It is nice to have clean oil. If you buy a kit they can be very expesive. So I built my kit. NUC makes parts for the amsoil bypass sytem. I found the oil filter mount on ebay for $20 and the oil filter cap for $65 from NUC motorsports.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is BS. Ever notice how the FS2500 people stopped making this claim in their ads?? There is NO oil filter bypass kit that will make the oil stay "honey colored" for the oil change interval of 7500 miles.
Well I have had the fs2500 on my 6.0 for over 60000 miles and change the oil every 6200 mile on the dot(10,000km I'm Canadian eh!).
The oil is still really clean at that time. When you pull the dip stick you can still see right through the oil on the stick. I would say a dark honey color.
They do work. IMO

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Well I have had the fs2500 on my 6.0 for over 60000 miles and change the oil every 6200 mile on the dot(10,000km I'm Canadian eh!).
The oil is still really clean at that time. When you pull the dip stick you can still see right through the oil on the stick. I would say a dark honey color.
They do work. IMO
So only on the dipstick does it look honey colored?? Does it look honey colored when coming out the drain??

·
Registered
273 Posts
So only on the dipstick does it look honey colored?? Does it look honey colored when coming out the drain??
Let me explain this a little better, if you were to put it on your finger it's dark honey colored, on the dip stick same thing.
Drain it into a pail it will look black. It's not the typical used diesel oil that almost stains your skin when you get it on you.
You can rub it between your fingers till its gone.

Like I said , they do what they say they do.

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
I have had the same results from my Oil Guard kit and now the Amzoil filter kit. Since your oil doesn't come out honey colored then all it does is filter the smaller particles. I never commented these kits would not filter just that they WILL NOT make diesel oil "honey colored".

On the dipstick is one thing, out the drain is another.

I have a Racor bypass oil filter and at 5000 miles my oil looks like the oil I am putting in. Also Racor claims 1 micron filtering if I remember right.
Any comments?? I doubt the oil coming out the drain looks like what you are pouring in.......

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
No mine looks dark coming out the drain. But as others stated, you can see a difference on the dip stick!! It does not have that sooty feel between your fingers or the typical diesel drain oil smell. They do work. My vehicle is an 03 with original injectors and turbo, no stiction problems 123,000 miles. I have gone as far as 10,000 miles between oil changes(not advised) and used chevron delo400 always. My first oil change was at 24 miles on the odometer one hour after bringing it home. Most oil changes happen at 5,000 mile intervals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts