Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 with 26k miles :doh: Well I got a friends truck to change the oil and fuel filters and there is oil on everything under there includeing whole unfderside of hood... Turbo, intercooler boots on top, intake elbow, oil filter cap, and egr No oil on the underside of the truck yet. What are some common things to leak or to check for leakage? Also I sprayed it down with some brake clean and wiped some of the stuff as best as I could or should I take a presure washer and spray it with purple power?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
Cracked cap?
Bad o-ring?

What filter did you use, was it an OEM filter (Motorcraft, International, or Racor)?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
Be very careful if you do decide to use a pressure washer - you need to cover certain parts first.

Also, be careful w/ the brake cleaner. If you are liberal w/ it and then wash it down, it can get into the starter and shorten its life.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cracked cap?
Bad o-ring?

What filter did you use, was it an OEM filter (Motorcraft, International, or Racor)?
He last had it changed at Ford. I looked the cap over good for any signs of craks or any thing... I replaced it with a Fram filter and new o-ring.

Be very careful if you do decide to use a pressure washer - you need to cover certain parts first.

Also, be careful w/ the brake cleaner. If you are liberal w/ it and then wash it down, it can get into the starter and shorten its life.
I probly wont do that... I drove it tonight and no signs of oil leaking from the cap... Could the turbo seals be leaking? If they were leaking it would be smoking blue then right?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts
Maybe turbo oil supply line?

I didn't think that you could see a high pressure oil leak ..........

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
It might be as simple as the o-ring not being seated properly. My neighbor had a similar problem -- was leaking oil EVERYWHERE! He pulled the oil filter cap, adjusted the o-ring into the correct groove on the cap, and tightened the cap back down. No more leaks....

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think it is a high presure oil leak since it is not all over just a very slow leak going everywhere over time. I will check the turbo oil supply. Where is that located?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I dont think it is a high presure oil leak since it is not all over just a very slow leak going everywhere over time. I will check the turbo oil supply. Where is that located?
it on top the turbo.....i would check the boot coming off the the turbo going to the hot side intercooler tube...its a known cause.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,117 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got to insoect the truck more this evening and come to find out the turbo is blown. Shaft play and pushing oil outta the cold side intake elbow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts